Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Gotta Love Capitalism!

Because it brings us neat stuff like this:

Doomsday bunkers for under $10,000!

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- A company that sells luxury doomsday shelters is branching out with a new "economy class" bunker that costs $9,950.

Vivos is building the cheaper facility to accommodate the growing number of people worried about "life-extinction events" such as super volcanoes and asteroids but can't afford to shell out $35,000 for the fancier model.

I love that they have both "economy" and "luxury" doomsday shelters. That's the American way right there - you provide options for everything! Here's a company that has identified a need and developed a way to make money off of that need - the very essence of the American dream. What cracks me up is this, though:

All told, Vivos has more than 10,000 "members" in its apocalypse community -- some of whom have merely "applied" for spots in the bunkers and others who have plunked down refundable $5,000 deposits.

Refundable? You get your money back if the world fails to end?

That is all.

7 comments:

North said...

You get your money back if the world ends before you get your bunker.

If the bunker fails, you don't get your money back, but you get a 'departing' gift: an urn.

Rev. Paul said...

I'd say they 'urned' their refunds, but don't want to be accused of verbing my nouns.

Bubblehead Les. said...

Why do I want to spend TEOTWAWKI surrounded by Sheeple? I'll just use my own Bunker, thank you.

Mike W. said...

Can I bring my tinfoil hat to my bunker or is that verboten?

Dr. FrankenSteve said...

So,you can own a bunker,apply for a spot in one and even pay a deposit on one...Hmmm, sounds like one of the Fallout games. Life imitates art, er, video game!

Old NFO said...

LOL- There TRULY is a fool born every minute...

Chris said...

Welcome to Vault-tec!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JpHCIs5Yb8