Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Guns As Investments...

Reader (and practically neighbor) Karl sends in this interesting auction item:

A mob hit! Al Capone's handgun expected to fetch over $100,000 at auction


He's the iconic gangster who ruled Chicago with an iron fist ... and now Al 'Scarface' Capone's gun could be yours.

The handgun, a nickel-plated Colt .38 Special is being auctioned by fine arts auction house Christie's on June 22. The gun currently belongs to a private collector and is expected to fetch more than $100,000.
Here's Capone's .38:


(picture from link)


The interesting part is that I have a Colt very similar to that - it's the one my grandfather carried as a town cop for the better part of 40 years. Interesting, isn't it, that the same gun was carried by an Italian mobster - and an Italian police officer. Different life paths, tied together by a firearm. That's one of the things I love about this "gun thing" - firearms are working, functioning, usable pieces of history. I can drag my grandfather's Colt out of the safe, grab some .38 Special ammo off the shelf at the local gun store, and hit the range with a piece of history...


Karl mentions that if I got this .38, it'd match Capone's Caddy I posted earlier...

That is all.

3 comments:

Mad Saint Jack said...

Sell a gun???

(My precious.)

Old NFO said...

Jay, that is the 'new' collectible/investment market... guns!

Thankfully your family took the 'good' route :-)

Jay G said...

Dunno, Old NFO. I think I'd have made a good enforcer...

*grins evilly*