Thursday, August 4, 2011

MArooned Product Review: LaserLyte Side Mount P3AT Laser

A few weeks back, I mentioned getting a package from LaserLyte containing the side-mount laser for the LCP/P3AT. I had to order some punches to get the frame pins out (well, I could have borrowed some I'm sure but it was about time I got my own), and over this past weekend I installed the unit:

P3AT - with a frikkin' laser!

It's just a really slick, ingenuous design. The low-profile unit sits basically on top of your trigger finger when indexed:

Little gun, little laser

You activate the unit by pushing the little button right above your finger, in much the same way the Smith & Wesson Bodyguard 380 laser is activated. If you're trained to rest your finger along the slide until ready to shoot, you can turn the laser on in fractions of a second. The best part is, it doesn't alter the profile of the firearm, so it still fits neatly in a pocket holster:

Still fits!

Yes, it is noticeable given the tiny size of the P3AT, but there's simply no getting around the trade-off - if you want a laser sight on your pocket pistol, you're going to add some bulk to the unit. It doesn't add any appreciable weight, and the added bulk doesn't affect how it fits in holsters, so the addition is minimal. What it adds, though, is the ability to more precisely aim this little pistol.

Where the CK-AMF really shines is in the price: $99.95 MSRP, slightly less off the shelf at your favorite online retailers (MidwayUSA part number 153247, frex). The laser beam can be cycled between pulsating and continuous by holding the button down for five seconds, and the beam is easily visible at across the room distances (over 50 feet in my house).

Next stop is the range to get some shooting time in with the unit. Right out of the box it lines up pretty well with the iron sights, but then again, so would randomly shining a laser pointer when it comes to the iron "sights" of the P3AT. With any kind of luck I'll be able to put a few rounds through the P3AT to check it out soon and report back.

So far, I'm impressed by the LaserLyte side mount laser for the LCP/P3AT.

That is all.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Asking as one of the 25% of the population that is left-handed, can this be installed on either side of the gun?

Anonymous said...

Oh, and as a potential purchaser of this item, I would also suggest to Laserlyte I would pay the extra 50 cents or a dollar to have the size punch I need in the box.

Jay G said...

mopar,

Thought it was more along the lines of 11%? But no, this is decidedly directional - right side only. Maybe there's something for southpaws in the works?

As for the punch, I'll say that LaserLyte has been really good about including the allen wrenches needed. I'd wager that punches fall into the same category as screwdrivers for folks who do any kind of modifications to their firearms... ;)

Rifleman762 said...

I'd really like to see a review of one of the J-frame sidemounts, either the LaserLyte or the LaserMax.

Jay G said...

Rifleman762,

You mean like this?

:)

Review on the Crimson Trace grips for the J-frame is in the queue as well. I don't have any experience with the LaserMax J-frame laser, though.

LMB said...

What, no bayonet lug?

Bubblehead Les. said...

That class of Pocket Pistol is too small for my size 2XL hands, damn it! But that Ruger LC9 does feel nice in my paws, and since you are bringing one to the shoot....

The Zombie Hunter said...

Hi Jay,

I'm really thinking about getting this laser.

The only thing keeping me on the fence for this is that I'd need to manually press the button as I draw. Doing this one handed seems tricky.

How do you train to activate it under a stressful situation?

A video demonstration of a drill would be awesome!


You the man.


Cheers,

TZH

Jay G said...

TZH,

You know, a shooting review of the laser is way overdue. Let me play with it at the range a bit, and I'll see what I can do for a short video.

In practice, it's no different from the LaserMax unit in my Glock G30 or the Insight built-in laser in the Bodyguard 380 - your trigger finger is indexed right along side the activation button, so turning the laser on is a pretty simple feat.

Under stress, well, that may be a different story entirely; that's where the instant-on laser sights have the edge.

The Zombie Hunter said...

I could not find any drills for this particular laser on the Tube so I'm sure lotsa folks would find it really cool if you do make one :-)