Monday, August 22, 2011

Ooh! Sign Me Up!

Brad_in_MA brings a very interesting opportunity to my attention:

WINGS OF FREEDOM TOUR 2011 Schedule
The Wings of Freedom Tour brings historic aviation to your community! Tour through the authentically restored aircraft or take a flight aboard for the ultimate immersion in history!
Here's a chance to see a B17, a B24, and a P51 live and in person! It's $12 per person to tour the airplanes, considerably more if you want to fly in one of them (and several orders of magnitude more if you want to fly them yourself). I'm interested in either the tour in Beverly, MA on Saturday September 17th or in Nashua NH on Saturday October 1st - anyone else interested in taking a tour of some vintage WWII airplanes?

I mean, it's not everyday you get to see a Flying Fortress, Liberator, and Mustang in the wild...

That is all.

8 comments:

libertyman said...

October 1 in Nashua? Shall we make a day of it? Lunch at some local place?

I'm in.

Keystone said...

I've been watching all year for them to come to Nashua. Of course they pick a weekend I'm out of the state.

I saw them down at Trenton-Mercer Airport a few years ago, pretty cool. I love old warbirds. If you have a chance, get down to Reading, PA for the annual Mid-Atlantic Air Museum's Warbirds weekend - it's been getting better every year. I've been going for ages.

Bubblehead Les. said...

We have them flock to Lost Nation Airport every summer about a mile from my house. Merlins, Cyclones, sometimes you can't hear yourself think! And then they started adding Korean Era Jets. Love it when the F-86s kick Mig Butt over my back yard over my back yard! : )

Weer'd Beard said...

+1 to Libertyman. Keep me posted, but I'm tentatively game.

Also I'm curious if carry will be allowed on the craft.

Brad_in_IL said...

@Liberty . . .

I'll second your vote for Oct 1 in Nashua. The Airport is close to lots of places for good eats. I have to specifically shout out for Martha's Exchange Restaurant & Microbrewy on Main Street.

Jay, you should bring along TheBoy for this. Seeing these old birds is a TREAT. I brought My Progeny last year and she was quite taken by the M2 stations on the '17.

- Brad

Johnnyreb™ said...

Oh yeah, that's a good time right here. Last time I went through them it was around $450 to go up in the '17 ...

Stretch said...

Been going to airshows with Dad since '72.
We've been aboard (but never flown in)B17s, B24s, and THE B29.
Take extra rolls of ... er ... memory cards and batteries.
Keep an eye out for the little old men with unit hats. They and their stories are ALWAYS the best part of such shows.
If you've sound recording equipment take that too. Nothing like the sound of Allison radials at max takeoff power.

Jim said...

Stretch....Allison radials?

You're forgiven for such blasphemy, but it'd gonna cost you putting a box of 50 rounds through a 1911, and a box of 20 rounds of '06 through a Garand, by way of pennence.

Allison made water-cooled, V-12 engines, while Pratt and Wright made the air-cooled radials.

But yeah, they all sound so sweet, it's easy to get lost in the bliss and fog of 110 octane and total-loss oil systems.


Jim
Sunk New Dawn
Galveston, TX