Friday, December 16, 2011

Friday Gun Pr0n #245

Today's gun pic is the second of two Smith & Wesson pistols I received last month for T&E. It's another M&P, although pretty different from the M&P45 I showed a few weeks ago:

M&P!

Yes, it's a Smith & Wesson M&P9c, the compact version of Smith & Wesson's breakout M&P series of polymer handguns. It's a striker-fired, compact frame polymer semi-automatic pistol, chambered in 9mm with a (MA-neutered) 10 round capacity (12 rounds in free America, and it can use the 17 round full size 9mm magazines as well). Weighing in at a light 21.7 ounces, it's quite agreeable for concealed carry, and the interchangeable palm swells make it customizable to your grip - meaning it's comfortable on the range as well.

When I put in my request with Smith & Wesson, I was very interested in the M&P series but limited by living in MA. The full size 9mm is simply too frustrating - being limited to 10 rounds in a gun that holds 17 is like riding around in a Corvette with a 4-banger. I could live with the two-round loss in the compact version, though - and the M&P45 only comes with a 10 round magazine, so that's the same no matter where you live.

I'll be putting it through it's paces in the coming months, many times side-by-side with the full size M&P45 or the Ruger SR9c. I'll also be carrying it quite a bit, as the trade-offs in grip size and barrel length that render it less easy to shoot at the range make the compact size more amenable for concealed carry. I'm already quite impressed with the M&P line, as the guns are well-made (to be expected from Smith & Wesson), durable, and easy to shoot, carry, and maintain.

Heck, it's almost enough to allow me to forgive S&W for re-issuing the M&P designation to something other than a six-shot .38 Special!

That is all.

8 comments:

Bubblehead Les. said...

Unc mentioned that the latest war isn't the old 9mm vs .45ACp, it's Glock vs. Smith and Wesson M+Ps. I really am looking forward to what you discover, since, like T-Bolt, I don't like those little levers on my trigger. I did get to fire Kead's full size M+P in 9mm at the WV Blogshoot and it was SWEET. But he did put in the Apex Trigger mod, so let us know how it feels to you with the standard Trigger.

Jay G said...

Well, mine won't be a true comparison because they've got the crappy MA 10-pound trigger, but I have an offer from a friend with an M&P45 that has a trigger job for comparison. I'll try that out and compare the two and include that in the report...

Farmmom said...

That thing looks familiar!!!! Just got mine this week and I have to say I absolutely love it!!!! It feels good in the hand (after we put the small back strap on for my little bitty hands) and it shoots very nicely. Recoil is barely there even for a 9mm. I will be putting lots of rounds through it and will think of you when I shoot the last 2 out of each magazine. :P

Jay G said...

You really know how to twist the knife, dontcha? :)

zeeke42 said...

The M&P 9c has been my carry gun for a couple years now. Once you fix the MA trigger, they're great guns. I'd recommend the Apex Duty/Carry kit. I got mine before they were available, so I have a gunsmith trigger job, but I like the Apex better.

Rifleman762 said...

My M&P9c with Apex DCAEK is one of my favorite guns. Going to pick up a full size to match within the next month or two.

Anonymous said...

Next up, get an M&P 40c. I've been hankering to try one . . . and it holds an honest 10 rounds in the MAss version.

Texas Sean said...

When my wife decided to carry, I decided we would both carry the same make, model and caliber. Lots of good things; same mags, same holsters and most importantly, familiarity with ONE platform. My #1 pic was the M&P9C. Smooth shooting, great ergonomics, S&W quality and guarantee.

The SR9C won as it was her preferred piece and I was just as happy with it and especially the trigger vs. the M&P. Here in TX we have the 17 round option but as a former NJ resident I doubly feel your pain, Jay; 15 round mag limit and NO CARRY! Enjoy.