Monday, January 21, 2008

Monday Morning Musings...

*Patriots are going to their fourth Superbowl this decade. If they win, it will give them the best record in NFL history. Kinda cool, even for a non-sports dude like me.

*Saw with sadness that Suzanne Pleshette has passed away. Only in the most unlikely Hollywood fantasy could a totally hottie like her be paired up with a schlub like Bob Newhart. The closest unlikely Hollywood pairing I can currently think of is that lardass Kevin James with totally hot Leah Remini in "King of Queens". As a (former) fat ass, let me tell you - a fat tub 'o' goo like that has about as much chance of scoring with a babe like her as I do of out-shooting Jerry Miculek...

*Speaking of shooting (how's THAT for a segué?!), made it to the range for the first time in almost two months (!!!!!). Took the Marlin 39A to the indoor range for a little informal shootin', and decided to bring along a couple other classics, the Smith & Wesson Model 19 and the Colt Gold Cup National Match. It's a good thing I brought such excellent firearms, because otherwise I'd have totally embarassed myself, my shooting was so off...

The Model 39A is INCREDIBLE. I had the target at the back of the indoor range (25 yards) and with iron sights put the entire 19 rounds into a 2" circle. The 19, as always, was a joy to shoot (especially with .38 special +P+), as was the Colt. There was one minor glitch with the Colt - the slide wouldn't stay locked back after the last round - but a quick change of the grips solved that (important tip from your ol' buddy Jay: If a gun that had previously functioned flawlessly starts having issues right after you change something, change that something back BEFORE you start panicking...)

Of course, here I am with my lever action .22 rifle, a revolver, and a 1911 - I'd have been perfectly in place in 1908, when the lane next to me is taken over by the tactical twins. Heavily accessorized pre-ban AR-15, Bobcat (MP5 semi-auto clone), several Glocks, and a Tacticool Rem 870 scattergun.

That is all.

5 comments:

TOTWTYTR said...

RE: Susanne Pleshette. An incredible babe in her day.

As to marrying a schlub, she married the incredibly funny Tom Poston in 2001.

Anonymous said...

a fat tub 'o' goo like that has about as much chance of scoring with a babe like her as I do of out-shooting Jerry Miculek...

Your assumption is that women are as shallow and superficial as men.

I consider my wife every bit as hot as Suzanne Pleshette was in her halcyon days but for reasons that I will never fully understand she said yes when I asked her to marry me 27 years ago.

Maybe I am just awfully damned lucky.

RW said...

Your assumption is that women are as shallow and superficial as men.

They're moreso, IMO. It's just that instead of perky boobs they're looking at a perky wallet. Other than that, they're just as shallow, yeah.

On the TV scale, also see Courtney Thorne Smith & Jim Belushi.

Anonymous said...

Jay, if you want to be able to put 10 rounds into a ONE INCH square from 25 meters, go to www.rwva.org and sign up for the Appleseed shoot in Harvard on Patriots' Day weekend.

Don't think you can do it? Wrong... I can, and so can you. We'll teach you how.

Anonymous said...

Where do you shoot in an indoor range that allows a shotgun or any rifle larger then a .22LR?