Friday, February 22, 2008

Friday Gun Pr0n #47

Had I been thinking ahead, I've have planned an AK-47 clone for today's picture. Alas, planning has never been my strong suit, so...

Today's firearm is yet another oddity in my armory (Another couple of oddballs and I'm gonna start challenging Dr. Strangegun *g*):


This is a Harrington and Richardson "Sportsman" .22LR revolver. It's an oddity for several reasons:
  1. It's a 9-shot, which for some reason was de rigeur for non-major brand .22LR wheelguns for a while (High-Standard, H&R, Iver Johnson all had 9 shots, whereas Colt had 6 and S&W had either 8 or 10).
  2. It's a top-break, which makes this the easiest to reload of all the revolvers I own (would be even easier if I could find a speedloader or three for it...)
  3. Even though it's a top-break, it's a double-action revolver.
  4. It was manufactured in freakin' Worcester, MA - yes, believe it or not, MA had more than just S&W for gun manufacturers. And Kahr Arms is currently manufacturing guns in Worcester, although only their Auto-Ordnance line is available for sale in MA. {spit}

It's a fun little plinker, not worth a heck of a lot (saw one not all that long ago in a gun shop selling for under $100) but still a lot of fun. I like it because it's not as high-end as my Model 17, nor as rich in history as my Official Police, so I can shoot it without worrying about damaging the bluing or wearing down the rifling with cleaning. It's also several orders of magnitude easier to load and shoot than the NAA mini-22 (but a LOT less concealable...)

That is all...

5 comments:

Weer'd Beard said...

Hey, all the S&W "new departure" line were all DA top-breaks.

Also Taurus Tracker .22s are 9-shot too.

That is a neat little shootin' iron you got there, Jay!

doubletrouble said...

I've got a carbon copy of that unit of Iver Johnson manufacture. Got it for $50 at an auction years ago.

Does yours shoot as much lead sideways as it does frontways?

alex. said...

HKS makes a speedloader that should fit your H&R .22 revolver. Midway USA (great people to deal with) lists it as their product # 396-534, with a retail price of $8.99. Check at www.midwayusa.com.

Anonymous said...

I remember having one of those with a 4" barrel(626?). Damn thing would hole and bounce beer cans at 50 feet until you got tired of shooting it. Sold it and took me 20 years to find another one.
emdfl

doen alsof je gek bent said...

I have one of these Pistols.. it was my Dad's and I remember shooting it in Hawaii in the mountains for fun. Wyatt Earp had nothing on us! There's not a squirrel left on the Island! Never was any but...
Cool Blog. Thanks for the article and info!