Friday, September 19, 2008

Friday Gun Pr0n #77

*sigh*

I really did intend to post a picture of the new and improved Model 17 last week.

Except that a(n almost) too-good-to-be purchase fell into my hands at the GOAL yard sale two weeks back, and new guns take precedence over pre-arranged pictures of guns that have already been featured. I was planning to put up the picture of the new and improved Model 17 today.

Until...

I looked at the date. September 19th. 9/19. Well, you don't need to be a numerologist to know that this is a sign - today's guns have to be chambered in 9X19mm!

We'll start with a quick primer on the various and sundry 9mm offerings out there. The X19 part is pretty important, as there are at least three other 9mm variants in some stages of use currently out there:

9X17mm, a.k.a. .380 ACP, 9mm short, or 9mm kurtz
9X18mm, a.k.a. 9mm Mak (Makarov)
9X23mm, a.k.a. 9mm Largo or Steyr

None of these should ever, under any circumstances, be loaded into a gun chambered for 9X19mm (a.k.a. 9mm Luger or 9mm Parabellum). Bad, bad things will happen...






Without further digression, here are the various 9X19mm-chambered firearms in the G. armory:




Smith & Wesson Model 39. Single-stack, steel frame, 8+1 capacity, traditional double action semi-automatic pistol. This is the single-stack companion to the Model 59, considered the progenitor of the high capacity wunder-nines.




SigSauer model P226. Double-stack, steel frame, 15+1 capacity, traditional double action semi-automatic pistol.




Smith & Wesson Model SW99 compact. Double-stack, polymer-frame, 10+1 capacity double-action only (DAO) striker-fired semi-automatic pistol.




So there's the 9X19mm offerings in the G. armory. There's an equal number of 9X17mm handguns, however we are lacking in the 9X18mm department. With any kind of luck, a CZ-82 will fill that hole in the not-too-distant future. I don't foresee any 9mm Largo acquisitions on the horizon, though...

That is all.

11 comments:

zeeke42 said...

There's also the 9x21 IMI. It's pretty rare in the US, but it's quite popular in countries where civilians can't own firearms in 'military calibers' like 9x19. The case is 2mm longer, but bullets are seated deeper to end up at the same OAL as 9x19.

Smith Model 59 as the progenitor of the wondernines? What about the Browning High Power aka GP35? Wondernine before it was cool.

Borepatch said...

Can I propose a "Gun Trivia" category? First trivia challenge could be "What are all the cartridges that could represent a date?"

30-06 works if you're a Euro.

Jay G said...

zeeke42,

There's a whole bunch of other 9mm-based rounds I skipped over, like the Glisenti and the Guzav (? I think). I went with the ones most likely to pop up here in "normal" usage.

As for the 59, the Browning certainly set the stage for the wünder-nines, but I'd say that the model 59 made them popular in the US...

ted,

Date, or time? Because I'm always checking the clock for 2:23 and 3:57...

;)

Weer'd Beard said...

Don't forget 9X23mm
9x22mm
9x33R
and
9x29R


hehehehe don't worry, I had to look up the Euro designation for them.

Weer'd fun-fact. As much of an anti-Europhile as I am, I REALLY dig the Euro Cartridge designation.

Cheat Sheet:
.38 Super Auto
.357 Sig Sauer
.357 Smith and Wesson Magnum
and
.38 Smith and Wesson Special.

With these plus 9x19, 9x18, 9x17, that covers just about all the 9mm rounds I see on any sort of regular basis.

breda said...

I carry a 9mm short - how appropriate. Thank you for the lesson, JayG.

Anonymous said...

You neglected to mention that the 39 and 59 are more accurate, run better, and have more soul than the subsequent "Resevoir Dogs Commemorative models" Which is why S&W has such an awesome reputation for semiautos.Keep up the good work!

danno said...

Just curious...

was this post inspired by the today's date (9/19)... Just seems too much a coincidence. (If this were on Breda's place I'd consider it a lead-pipe cinch.)

Anonymous said...

Jay, you must have the term "Steel Frame" locked in your noggin' from talking about that fine little S&W M17, 'cause I'm pretty sure the standard S&W M39s and SIG 226s have aluminum-alloy frames...

That is all. ;)

James R. Rummel said...

How many magazines do you think you need for that Sig?

James

Jay G said...

weer'd,

I was trying to focus on 9mm variants that people who don't cruise mil-surp forums would come across... *g*

breda,

A 9mm short, yes. I prefer the traditional nomenclature of ".380 ACP" - much more in tune with what JMB (PBUH) would have wanted...

andy,

Heh. I present without commentary...

danno,

I did chose it because of the date - in fact, I stated "I looked at the date. September 19th. 9/19. Well, you don't need to be a numerologist to know that this is a sign - today's guns have to be chambered in 9X19mm!" :)

dj,

Yep, my bad. I meant to say "metal" frame to distinguish from polymer.

James,

How many magazines do I think I need? Uh, all of them! *G*

Seriously, though, I need to find as many magazines as possible. You see, this is MA, where the Assault Weapons ban is still the law of the land. We are not permitted to own magazines with capacity in excess of 10 rounds unless they were made prior to September 1994.

Also, I have two post-ban, neutered capacity 10 round mags for that Sig.

In a word, they suck. They don't stay in the gun. They don't load. AT ALL.

So I can't just buy a new 15 rounder to replace an old one that gets lost or broken.

(And you should see how many 1911 magazines I have if you think I have a lot of Sig mags...) :)

Weer'd Beard said...

"I was trying to focus on 9mm variants that people who don't cruise mil-surp forums would come across... *g*"

Heh, except for the .357 Sig (9x22mm) I think you have a gun in ALL those calibers.