Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Behind Enemy Lines, Part IV

Parts I, II, and III focused on the bad parts about being a gun nut in "enemy territory" (gun-unfriendly states). For this part, I'd like to look at some of the good things about living in MA as a gun nut. And yes, there are some good things, even in MA.

For starters, we don't have an awful lot of restrictions on where we can carry. Schools and the post office are the only places we definitely can't carry, and there are folks who dispute the PO. There's no such thing as "binding signage" here - a store can put up all the "NOE EVIL GUNZ ALLOWED" signs it wants, but the most they can do is ask you to leave. Bars are okay. Restaurants which serve alcohol are okay. Your car is okay. There are very few places where CCW is expressly forbidden.

We don't have waiting periods, purchase permits, monthly limits, or other extraneous hoops to jump through once the MA LTC is obtained. Now, granted, that's a pretty big hoop, but it's a one-time deal. Once you obtain it, you can walk into a gun shop on a whim, buy a gun, some ammo, and a holster, and walk out with a new carry piece. You can even do it the next day, too. You're limited by the Approved Firearms Roster {spit}, certainly; but you don't need a sheriff's inspection, a permit to purchase, or a specific card to buy a specific gun.

Another benefit is one that's not readily apparent - the general "Condition White" of the rest of the population. I've carried a concealed firearm for almost 15 years, and have yet to lose that "ZOMG what if someone sees my gun" feeling. I have, on occasion, revealed a clip (to the holster) or even a muzzle once or twice (Darn slider holsters!). I've even done stupid shit like pull my back-up mag out of my pocket when looking for change at the store counter. Fortunately, in MA, people in general don't know the difference between a G21 magazine and a left-handed torque wrench, so my faux pas have gone unnoticed...

And there's something about belonging to the "Brotherhood of the Oppressed Gun Nut" that I've jokingly likened to the Christians in ancient Rome. When you come across a fellow gunnie here behind the Red Curtain, you feel an automatic kinship with them; a bond shared between folks who spend their time looking over their shoulders and talking of their passion in code... There's a fierce passion for the Second Amendment among the gunnies behind enemy lines; perhaps it has to do with being on the razor's edge of bans and confiscation that help us appreciate how fragile the Bill of Rights could be without the teeth of the Second Amendment...

I've been to many shoots here in MA, and a handful in NH as well, and while they've all been good, the ones in MA have been eager to pass the hat for GOAL (MA firearms owners advocacy group). I'm certain that it's no different at other ranges, certainly, but the folks I've met at the range are almost universally wonderful, caring, sharing folks. I've had folks offer multiple thousand dollar race guns to me to shoot simply for saying "Wow! Nice STI!" or "hey, what's that, I've never seen one of those before". (Of course, I'm always quick to offer my own gun to anyone who expresses interest as well).

Our local gun board, the Northeastshooters forum, is replete with "Karma" offerings - folks realize they have an extra magazine or pair of grips or holster and offer it up to the other members. Group buys are common on anything from flashlights to pre-ban magazines to even laser-engraved AR-15 lowers. We recently had a member pass away unexpectedly and took up a collection for his family. There's just so much good that's done simply because one belongs to this group of misfits, outcasts among outcasts, the MA gunnie...

There are benefits to being a gun nut in MA. They don't outweigh the negatives - not by a wide margin - but there are benefits.

That is all.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

You said:

There are benefits to being a gun nut in MA.

I'd like to add:

Given recent events in TN, this is a biggie.

The list of FID/LTC holders is restricted/non-public.

Peet in W.Mass

Lissa said...

Jay, I thought the city of Boston as a whole was a no-carry zone?

Jay G said...

Peet,

That's another good point, although I would hazard a guess that the reason behind it has to do with the nature by which LTCs are granted. IOW, if the lists got out and people saw how many were "connected", it might cause a flap...

Lissa,

That would be a fallacy that is perpetuated by those ignorant of the law and/or wishful thinking on the part of Mumbles and his minions...

Lissa said...

You're kidding! I think I actually heard that from my father (NH rez).

Jay G said...

There are things that are illegal in Boston that are not illegal in the rest of MA - so-called "assault weapons" and knives with blades over 2" (possibly 3").

There's no law against a legally permitted citizen carrying a concealed firearm in Boston proper, though.

Which, of course, is statistically where you're most likely to need the best form of protection...

Not out in the sticks like me... ;)

Lissa said...

Good to know! I was aware of the knife restriction -- my folding knife is 2.25 inches I think, and the reg is 2.5 -- but not the rest. I'm sure my father thanks you, too :) (BTW he wants to come to the next blogmeet/bloggershoot; I've told him he's not invited until I can be sure he's going to refrain from "Datz my widdle baby!" type comments.)

Farm.Dad said...

All you say is true. You folks still have they sympathy.. Nay even pity of we freestaters lol . Now granted Colorado isnt what it was a few years ago ( which i blame on the front range population of semi imported herbivores ) but it still isnt bad . Our ccw means didilly squat when buying a firearm ( for one thing due to " Lautenberg "( sp? ) it legitimately cannot as a means of approval. ) but other than that ( and we do have insti-check which last pistol i bought ran into 4 hr check due to backlog ) we dont have to fight the " approved gun " nonsense . Restrictions of carry are basically the standards ( .gov buildings and post office ) as well as any k-12 school building. Disturbingly every year we seem to loose a bit legislatively largely due IMHO to the influx of refugees from California and other " Utopias " who move here for the tax structure/job market and bring a lot of the same attitudes that created the problems where they came from .

Anonymous said...

Another benefit is that MA gunnies are generally VERY accomodating toward those who are new and/or returning to the shooting sports.

- Brad

Anonymous said...

Great topic Jay. I agree completely, the "initial hoop" here is huge and costly, but once you get a Mass LTC, it's not that bad. (well, aside from the limited selection of hardware you can buy... it's not that bad).

Sometimes I feel like if I lived in another state, I probably wouldn't be as vigilant and enthusiastic (my girlfriend would say "obsessed") about my "hobby".

Weer'd Beard said...

Also Jay areas like this are also the places where the greatest advances in the 2nd Amendment happen. What are the places that are making the NRA news? Heller Vs. DC, The handgun bans in Illinois and San Francisco. I'm sure we'll be in those tally's soon, and we'll have boots on the ground when it goes down!

BTW who was the NES member that passed away?

I've been an NES deadbeat recently....

Jay G said...

Farm.Dad,

You bring up another advantage - we don't have to watch as folks from other states flood in and make MA worse (it's already pretty damn bad...)

:)

Brad,

I'll take that as a compliment... :)

Damon,

That's another excellent point right there. I think that we tend to be extra-sensitive to further infringements - and that we serve as the "Canary in the coal mine" for 2A rights nationwide.

IOW, they try all the *REALLY* stupid shit here (and CA, and NJ, etc.) and see if it flies...

weer'd,

Pr0ducer down on the Cape. He was my age, too...

dr mac said...

Recently at the liquor store the clerk reached for a pack of cigarettes in a overhead dispenser. I noticed he had a back carry holster. When I came to pay my bill at the register I winked and said,"You need a longer tail on that Lacoste shirt when you reach for cigarettes." He looked blank for half a second then grinned and said,"Thanks for the tip."