Thursday, January 14, 2010

2010 Gunnie "To Do" List...

Okay. We're two weeks into the new year, and I figured it was time to list some prospective goals I want to set for myself for 2010. I did the same thing last year, and I figured I could start the 2010 list by revisiting the 2009 list:

  • Practice dry firing at least twice a week.
Hmm. Does once every other month count as twice a week?
  • Practice drawing from concealment once a week.
This, surprisingly, I stuck fairly close to - maybe every other week.
  • Go shooting at least twice a month.
Err... I don't think I ever went more than two months in between range sessions, does that count?
  • Take at least one course this year.
Nope. I sure as hell meant to...
  • Help out at the gun club for at least two events.
Damn.
  • Sign up at least five new people to GOAL and the NRA
This one I'm fairly certain I accomplished; I may have even exceeded this goal.
  • Instruct at last three new shooters.
YAY! I definitely exceeded this one - five new shooters in 2009!
  • Start reloading.
Err... I obtained some reloading supplies this year, does that count?
  • Purchase at least half a dozen new (to me) guns.
Close - I got five...
  • Carry whenever possible.
Done and done.


Huh. That, quite frankly, surprises me. I didn't think I'd accomplished that much. Looks like I'm going to have to set the sights a little higher this year. So what's on my gunnie to do list for 2010? Here goes:
  • Take TheBoy to the range for his first time shooting.
  • Bring five new shooters to the range.
  • Get my NRA Basic Instructor certification.
  • Go shooting at least twice a month.
  • Never go more than a month between range outings.
  • Shoot my carry guns monthly.
  • Buy more ammo - at least 100 rounds of centerfire or 500 rounds of rimfire a month above what I shoot.
  • Get the Bushmaster into a configuration I'm happy with and develop proficiency at close range (50 yards or less).
  • Test more LaserLyte and LaserMax products.
  • Shamelessly whore myself for more gear to test.
  • Attend the 2010 NRA convention in Charlotte, NC.
  • Acquire at least two new guns that will assist me in becoming a better shooter.
  • Participate in some form of active shooting discipline.
  • Meet more gun bloggers.
  • Host more blog meets.

There. That ought to be enough to keep me out of trouble this year. If I can accomplish half of these goals I'll be a happy man. Realistically, if I can get to the range more often, meet some new people, and teach my son to shoot, that'll be enough for me. Now, if along the way I happen to work on some of the other stuff, all the better.

So what are your gunnie goals for 2010?

That is all.

7 comments:

Julie said...

* Take a newbie to the range monthly. (I took 3 "newbies to handguns" to the range last night so i'm doing okay on this one so far).

* Shoot competition at least monthly.

* Not get shot by my trainees.

* Practice drawing & target acquisition at least once a week.

If i can do this I'll be happy.

Michael W. said...

Jay,

If you make it to the NRA convention I will make it a special point to get up with you and introduce you to some of the best North Carolina barbecue around.

The pigs around here fight with each other to be the ones chosen to be tossed into the pits and be turned into some of the tastiest stuff you ever put into your mouth.

Jay G said...

Julie,

"Not get shot by my trainees."

LMAO!!! I mean, ouch!

Michael W.,

You got it. I'm about 75-90% certain I'm going. It's just a matter of who's coming with me and such.

Definitely would like to meet up with some NC folk while I'm there (it's one of my objectives, even!)

BillH said...

I posted mine on the first and like you Jay my year didn't go as I'd planned either. This year I'm really going to make it to Boomershoot.

http://freeinidaho.com/2010/01/01/

BTW, here's the current gun-want list for this year

http://freeinidaho.com/2010/01/09/

Probably the biggest resolution this year is to shoot more than I did last year, both the rifles and the pistols.

zeeke42 said...

# Participate in some form of active shooting discipline.

IDPA match at Harvard next Saturday.

Stretch said...

Inspired by others I'll try to:
* Get an M1 Garand
* Take at least one class each in pistol and rifle
* Take neighbors on either side to range. I want to know how good the guys on my flanks are.
* Set up reloading press
* Practice, practice, practice - dry firing, presentation from holster, et. al.

Mrs. Widget said...

Thanks.

I'll add those to my regular resolutions.

(work with me work with me this is the first year I've ever done resolutions. I've been too busy this month to actually take time, sit down and write.)