Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Shootin' Iron Serendipity...

A while back I mentioned getting a holster from JMG Holsters for my G30. I really liked how the JMG rode on my belt; the positioning needed puts it roughly at 4 o'clock with a significant cant to it that's natural for a draw. At the time, I mentioned that it was a little on the tight side, but that I'd be taking steps to break it in. Well, I don't know if I did something wrong, or didn't have enough patience or what, but it never broke in - every time I went to draw the G30 from the JMG holster, it pulled the holster out with the gun. Every time. It's just too tight of a fit - I'll bet it would work great with a G26 or G27, though.

I shrugged and picked up a Don Hume IWB holster for the G30, and that's done the trick. I have a Don Hume that I bought for my SW99 compact, and it worked very well, so I felt confident dropping another $40 on a holster for the Glock from them. And the JMG holster went into the great big box 'o' holsters with all the others. It wasn't terrifically expensive, so I wasn't out all that much, but still, in the back of my mind, I felt bad that such a nice holster was relegated to the drawer with all the Uncle Mike's specials.

And then I did the G30:1991A1 compact comparo... And the wheels started to turn... The 1991A1 Compact and the G30 are about the same size, but the 1991A1 is slimmer. Maybe it would fit in the JMG holster? I'd picked up the Officer's sized 1991A1 as a potential carry gun, and was debating how much I wanted to drop on leather for it anyways, so I gave it a try:

Whaddya Know? It Works!

Sure enough, it fits like it was made for it. All the things I liked about the holster when I tried the G30 in it still apply - it's still very comfortable for carrying and the cant is right - the big difference is that I can draw (and even re-holster!) without taking the holster off my belt. It really works well with the 1991A1; the slight difference in size from the G30 makes a world of difference. The 1991A1 fits snugly in the holster, not loose; all attempts to dislodge were unsuccessful...

Now, of course, the big question is if LaserMax makes a guide rod laser sight for the 1991A1 Compact...

That is all.

7 comments:

Carteach said...

So far, I have missed out on that whole 'Big Box 'O Holsters' thing people speak of.

I was lucky enough to choose a Galco JAK slide for my M+P, and discovered it handles my 1911 AND my G-30 just as well. Remarkably comfortable and secure for what a simple holster it is.

'Course, now that the great and wonderful JG has mentioned the Hume rig, I will probably have to try it..... Lol.

Brad_in_IL said...

Now, of course, the big question is if LaserMax makes a guide rod laser sight for the 1991A1 Compact...

Don't take this the wrong way, but Jay, and I really hate to break the news to you,

You are a SHAMELESS WHORE when it comes to getting free schwag. Shameless. Shame, shame, shame. I only wish at times I had your kind of chutzpah.

W.V. --> perlor. Reminded me of purloin.
- Brad

Jay G said...

Carteach0,

Oh, I'll readily admit that the vast majority of my holster drawer comes from me being a cheap bastard. There's a good representation of $15 and $20 nylon holsters in the drawer that - SURPRISE! - don't work very well with anything I have.

I picked up the Don Hume rig to have something that could be tossed on quickly for short journeys out with the G30. I have a supremely comfortable Crossbreed Tuckable holster that I got for the SW99 that fits the G30 even better for longer wear. I think it was under $45 shipped, and well-worth the money.

Brad,

Three things in response:

1. LaserMax only lists guide rod lasers for Government (full) size 1911s at the moment, so the request could simply be to see if they have or are planning on smaller units;

2. I never asked for free items here (although I sure wouldn't say no); and

3. You're absolutely right...

:)

Newbius said...

Brad in MA beat me to it...

"Shameless product whore" indeed. :)

I need to figure out how to do that.

wv: "menon" as in I don't got any...

Weer'd Beard said...

I have also missed out on the big-box-o-holsters. I have a few odds and ends laying around the armory, but I think I only have 2-3 holsters I don't actually use...I think there's only one I actually paid money for.

So Jay, I thought the width was significantly different between the 1911 and the Glock. Does the holster still retain the 1991 snugly for all-day carry without working loose?

Jay G said...

I had that rig on for 12 hours on Saturday, Weerd. No issues.

Thing is, the holster's a little too snug for the G30, and the Hogue grips on the 1991A1 give it just enough width to fill the holster.

It really is serendipitous...

Weer'd Beard said...

I love when shit works out like that!