Monday, September 3, 2007

Range Day

Took a loooong overdue trip to the range this morning. It had been a while since I last went shooting, and the last trip was oriented around target-shooting. So today's trip was a practice session comprised of my three main carry guns:

1. Kel-Tec P3AT (.380 ACP)
2. Smith & Wesson model 38 (.38 special)
3. Smith & Wesson model SW99 compact (9mm)

I learned a lot from this session, even though my round count was kept short (the model 38 bit into my trigger finger and I got the bum's rush when the local PD came in to practice).

*The Kel-Tec sights are woefully deficient. At ~ 25 feet (my standard combat distance), I had to actually aim off the left side of the target to hit the center. However, the groupings were more than adequate. I have to remember if the shit ever hits the fan to aim at the goblin's buddy on the left...

*Speaking of the Kel-Tec, the +1 mag extension is a piece of shit. Maybe I got a rare bad apple, but this thing sucked monkey balls. Not only does it not go fully into battery unless you force it, but it binds the follower badly. Gone. I'll buy an extra mag and carry two rather than rely on the extended magazine.

*The SW99 is not only pleasant to shoot, but by a large margin the gun I shoot best. All shots were kept COM, with 6" being the maximum spread at rapid fire. I need to carry this more.

*I really like the Bianchi speed strips. I actually was able to load the 38 faster with the speed strips than with an HKS speedloader. Next stop: MidwayUSA to order 2 or 3 more pairs (one .357 Mag, one .38 Special +P, two .38 Special).

*Speaking of stuff I really like, MagLula's ROCK. Any item that can help me spend less time loading and more time shooting is a good 'un in my book...

*Cleaning goes really fast when you've got only three guns, and all are small, short-barreled, and two of the three are polymer-gripped...

*Shooting stuff, even just paper targets, is fun. (with tip 'o' the keyboard to the Box'o'Truth...)

That is all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jay,
Be sure to watch your email. You might actually make two weekends in a row . . . Just askin' . . .