Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Critter of Habit...

For the past 6 ½ years, there has been a sturdy wooden gate at the top of the stairs in our house. I put it up when my son started crawling as a precaution against him inadvertently falling down the stairs, and it has been there through his infancy, his toddler phase (Ha, BruceH, got it right that time!), his walking, and his sister's infancy, toddler, etc.

Every night after Mrs. G. goes to bed, and the house is dark and quiet, I grope my way to the office to check my e-mail and read around the blogosphere and such.

In the past few years, the gate has been partially open, closed only at night (my daughter is somewhat of a somnambulist). For the past few months, I've taken to walking down the hallway with one hand out in front of me to shut the gate before I walk into it (it is, naturally, directly at testicular height...)

Tonight I spent a good 15-20 seconds searching in the dark for the stupid gate before I realized that I took it down on Sunday...

*sigh*

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most...

2 comments:

Sevesteen said...

My parents keep the kitchen trash under the sink. I have NEVER done that in my house, and my kids are grown and moved out. I still periodically open the door under MY sink to throw something away.

Anonymous said...

We are creatures of habit.

When it comes to testicle protection old habits die hard.