Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Cub Scout Graduation & Rocket Launch AAR

Monday night was the last Cub Scout Pack Meeting of the season. We held a brief "graduation" where the boys got their respective badges, gave a quick overview of the two summer outings we had planned, and then let the boys loose on pizza and lemonade. It was a hot, sunny afternoon which made for a warm clear evening; and just watching the boys run around with seemingly limitless energy made me tired.

My little Tiger Cub is now a Wolf. He's gotten through his first year of Scouting, and is eager to continue. I'm not getting out of this easy, apparently... :)

While the boys devoured their pizza in a manner reminiscent of a school of piranha skeletonizing a cow (I'm not exaggerating - some 30 something boys made a dozen pizzas vanish in less than 10 minutes), we set up for the rocket launch. We had twin launchers going (note to self for next year: add a third launcher), with the theory being to launch rockets in tandem. Most of the boys chose to run around wildly in the field where the rockets were expected to land in anticipation of catching one from the sky.

Now, I've got to take a step back here. Saying I was into model rockets when I was a kid would be an understatement on the order of saying I kinda like guns now. I had just about every model out there, up to and including the six-foot tall "Mean Machine", the Space Shuttle orbiter (with gliding shuttle, of course), and a couple dozen "Mosquito" rockets. I even got the large box 'o' parts and made my own rockets from scratch - one of my favorites was a C-engine powered monstrosity that I cobbled together with ¼" thick balsa wood fins and a streamer - it was heavy, so it came down quick, but the fins were strong enough to withstand the impact. It flew really high, and came down quickly so as to avoid trees (parachutes slow the rockets much better, but leave 'em hanging on windy days...)

So, needless to say, when they distributed the rocket kits I had my son's rocket finished by the end of the day. And then we postponed the launch due to weather... So we've been waiting nearly a month to set off this rocket.

My son's rocket wound up being the "test" rocket - it was used to show how to load the flame-retardant material used to insulate the streamer from the engine (otherwise you melt the streamer and the rocket hurtles back to earth at terminal velocity); how to load the engine in; how to attach the ignitor; and then it was loaded on the launch pad and set aloft. It flew straight and true, the streamer popping just as planned at the apex of the flight - the engines are designed with a propellant charge to get the rockets airborne and an additional charge when the propellant is expended that pops the nose-cone and releases the streamer or parachute for return to earth.

My son was amazed - for the second time in his Scouting career, something his dad made had performed exactly as expected. His rocket made two more launches, and worked exactly as expected both times thereafter. It even survived a direct impact with the parking lot!

The Scouts absolutely LOVED the rocket launch. Now, granted, getting 7-11 year old boys interested in things that are rocket-powered isn't exactly difficult (especially playing up the "blow stuff up" aspect, as I like to call it), but they were all enthralled with each launch. Every time a rocket made its way to terra firma, a small but determined pack of boys chased after it, all determined to be the one that caught it and delivered it safely to its owner.

At the end, while cleaning up, I was handed the big box 'o' rocket stuff. By this time next year, the current Cubmaster and the other Assistant Cubmaster will be gone, as their sons move on to Boy Scouts. I'll be in charge of the rocket launch. And I can safely state, without fear of contradiction, that I cannot freakin' wait for next year...

I wonder if I can get permission for a January launch... :)

That is all.

8 comments:

JD said...

Now that sounds like a great day! You are getting me a psyched up for when my son gets into this stuff and that's not fair, he is only 1. . . . Man I have a long wait ahead of me. .

Anonymous said...

Jay,

The Boy Scouts have a Rocketry merit badge :)
When your son makes it to the Boy Scouts, put yourself on the merit badge counselor's list. You'll have dozens of troops waiting to have you teach it and work the launches.

The boys of our troop loved working on the badge last year; all the boys from 11 to 17.

Our Scoutmaster built his own rocket- a flying port-a-potty. Boys loved it.

Bruce said...

Model rockets are still legal in Massachusetts? You'd only need about 10,000 of those engines to blow up an orphanage.

Anonymous said...

Jay,
You didn't need to get a special LTL-A, ALP (License to Launch Class A) for those hi-cap, assault-style, multi-engined rockets? Was the setup sporting a pistol gripo launch control trigger and maybe a launch tower lug that needed to be ground off to comply with the 1998 laws? Oh, and were the rockets purchased prior to 1998 and registered to a state resident of FFL? And lastly, did they comply with the Atty General's list of rocket safety standards? My oh my, I *must* write my state house critter an complain. Hmph.

Anonymous said...

Jay,

I was out in the garage last night with my son getting some grease for the squeaky swings when he said, "Can we look at the Model Rocket Kits." My brother bought me a rocket kit several years ago, and it's just been sitting around waiting. Well this spring's going to be the time. Might even start tonight. Will we need more than the two engines/motors/bombs the first time?

Sounds like you really enjoy scouts. I know I did when I was in (oh so many years ago). Next year, my oldest son will be in first grade. We'll see what he thinks.

Jay G said...

jd,

It was an excellent day, thanks. It's about as far from the rest of my Monday as humanly possible... :)

bob s.,

Thanks for the tip! With any kind of luck I'll have my NRA Instructor certification by then as well and can teach the .22LR course for the Scouts as well.

Lord knows I have enough .22LR rifles...

bruce,

We tend to operate on the "easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission" concept. :) But yes, model rockets are still okay in the Volksrepublik.

brad,

You jest, but I did have to take a moment to restrain Captain Buzzkill from printing out the story of the kid who got expelled in Winchedon and bringing it to the last Leader's meeting as evidence that he was correct about Memorial Day blanks...

jeff,

If the rocket engines have been out in your garage for a couple years, you might want to buy new ones - at least if you live in an area like New England with varying seasons and changes in humidity.

As far as how many do you need, well, that's up to you. Two would be on the low end of what I'd bring; I'd expect a good half-dozen launches.

Unless, of course, you lose the rocket in a tree. Which is why I recommend bringing back-up rockets. Better to have a rocket and not need it than to need a rocket and not have it... ;)

SpeakerTweaker said...

Now that sounds like fun. Hell, I'm a grown man and I get into the "blow stuff up aspect!"

Can you say 'tannerite?'

I thought you could:)



tweaker

Anonymous said...

when i was in high school, our technology class built a 1/24th scale model of the space shuttle complete with remote controlled gliding surfaces... we had NASA send a buss load of people out to watch the launch, even had the director of flight operations show up... later that summer we launched it at Epcot and received a huge grant from Disney.

in fact, if you go to Google maps and do a satellite view of:
28.57881,-81.21605
you can still see the launch pad we poured... if i recall, that pad was about 3 feet tall and damn near as long as a school bus.