Monday, October 20, 2008

My Return...

As I mentioned yesterday, I have rejoined the Catholic Church.

Now, don't take this the wrong way. I'm not going to turn into a holy roller; I'm not going to proselytize; I'm not going to beat all of my guns into plows; I'm still going to be the same profane gun nut biker I've always been. But now I've got a Sunday morning commitment. Hell, the gun club's closed until after lunch; might as well do something with the morning, right? And they've got free coffee and donuts, how cool is that?

Kidding aside, this is something that's been in the works for a long time. I've been, well, pretty much an average Catholic - you know the joke:
A priest, a rabbi, and a minister were having coffee one morning and the subject of pest control in the rectory came up. The rabbi complained because he had to have an exterminator come in to rid the temple of mice, and was concerned about having to kill the animals. The minister agreed, noting that they'd recently had to set traps in the food kitchen to stop the infestations.

The priest clucked his tongue and chided his companions. "Gentleman, I implore you to stop these murderous methods. Surely this cannot be G-d's will, killing his creatures like this."

The minister and the rabbi agreed, but argued that they had tried non-lethal methods with no success. They asked the priest how he managed to keep mice out of the rectory without hurting them.

"It's very easy. I baptize and confirm them, and then I only see them at Christmas and Easter."

Well, I was missing even Christmas and Easter.

It was easy to pass on church growing up; my mom had (has) issues with organized religion in general (which she passed on to her son) that stem from her having grown up during the tumultuous days of Vatican II. She watched her fellow high school students, who happened to live in a different archdiocese that had already ratified the new rules, eat meat on Friday without immediately going to hell, and asked her priest why they could eat meat on Friday and she couldn't. His answer was along the "blind faith" lines, as it's hard to explain why, by virtue of mere geography (some 5 miles as the crow flies and a state line), her consumption of meat on Friday would send her to hell but not her friend from NH.

Dad, well, Dad's in the Knights of Columbus but doesn't attend church either. I've never asked him why; I've always been pretty much the same way; content to sleep in on Sundays (in the past; these days I consider sleeping until 7 AM sleeping in), run errands, or lay on the couch watching cartoons with the kids (which is still a damned good use of my time, no matter how many chores I have on the honey-do list...).

There was never much pressure to attend church; I was told I "had to" when I was a child and attended CCD after mass. I never got a satisfactory answer when I asked, "Well, how come you and mom don't go to church?". Sometimes it's easier to say "Because" than to give an answer. And once I was confirmed, I didn't have to go any more. That suited me just fine.

Well, I didn't want that to be the case with my kids. I didn't want to just roar up in front of the church at 9, drop The Boy off for church and Sunday School, and come back two hours later to retrieve him. I wanted him to see that this was something I felt was important for us to do. I wanted him to see his Dad going to church rather than just telling him he had to go.

I wanted my kids to have a religious upbringing that, at the very least, they could use as a springboard for their own spiritual journey. Sure, the path of least resistance would have been to do nothing; to refrain from sending them to church and CCD based on my distrust of organized religion. But I was raised in the Catholic faith; I'm familiar with the doctrine, the prayers, the routines and rituals; and I wanted my children to be brought up at least to adulthood (in the eyes of the church, that is) with knowledge of some form of faith. I chose Roman Catholicism because it's familiar to me.

Well, something funny happened on the way to my impartial, detached "get the chillens some religious learnin'." I started feeling like I wanted to go back. It felt a little weird, really, celebrating Christmas without acknowledging Christ Himself. I found myself wanting to explain the miracle of Resurrection as the basis for our Easter holiday rather than letting the kids think it had something to do with Lagomorphs who magically laid eggs.

You know what the funniest thing was?

When I talked to the usher upon walking into the church, ostensibly to ask where the Sunday School classes were held, I wound up giving the Reader's Digest condensed version of my religious life story - that I'd grown up a Catholic, lapsed for a bit, but was coming back for my kids.

You'd have thought I handed him the winning Powerball ticket.

Something else interesting happened, too. I saw a good number of people that I recognized (interestingly enough, most from Scouting, go figure). All of them were genuinely happy to see me in church; not a single person questioned why they hadn't seen me before. It was surprisingly refreshing to be accepted without question. I would have bet money going in that I'd have to explain myself a dozen times over. As it was, only our Pack Committee Chairman gave me any grief, and even that was just to rib me about my bald head...

The Boy, BTW, sat through his very first mass in such a grown-up, mature manner that my heart was just bursting with pride at his maturity. Sure, towards the end I got the inevitable "is it almost over, Dad?" - but that was literally 5 minutes before the end of mass. He was respectful (for the most part - he is only seven, after all...), paid attention, and when asked afterwards what he thought told me that he enjoyed it.

Now, I'm not going to say that bells rang, a light shone on me and I did cartwheels through the church. I'm certain that a good portion of my son's behavior springs from the novelty as well as the pleasure of having Dad all to himself (I left BabyGirl G at home because there's enough upheaval in The Boy's day to have to put up with his sister competing for Dad's attention; she'll get her chance soon enough). But we'll be back next week, my son and I. I'm going to give this a second shot.

That is all.

6 comments:

RW said...

Best news I’ve read all day, Jay.

[here’s the point where I sometimes wish I were still blogging, instead of filling about 5 or 6 of my favorite sites with long comments] I was raised in church. Heck, I practically lived in a church throughout my childhood. Every Sunday morning. Every Sunday night. Every Wednesday night. Every Saturday conference/singing. Further, I’ve ‘visited’ over 100 churches in my life, primarily though gospel singing groups (here’s a little known fact about me: I’ve been on the cover of three gospel albums. Yep, true). I’ve been in my share of black churches, Methodist churches, Church of God churches, etc., but mostly Baptist churches. When my grandfather – probably the most influential person in my life – suffered a stroke, I made sure that I was at his house early every Sunday so that I could assist him & his walker to the front pew because his favorite thing to do was sing at church.

I never – ever – swayed from my faith since the day I became born again, 7/29/76. Something happened to me that day that has never faded and it never will. Jesus rules my life. Hopefully, my grandkids will one day assist me in going to church…..far, far, away from today, of course.

Granted, when my wife & I married, I swayed from going to church & backed it off so that I was attending only monthly, or every three weeks when I felt like arising early. I didn’t stray from God, I just thought some of the services were getting boring (same songs, same “fire & brimstone” sermons, over and over) and I wasn’t really being spiritually ‘fed’ as I was in my youth. So, I/we became lazy. We had no kids, lots of disposable income (boy, those were the days….now I’m scrambling to get by w/a second mortgage & loads of debt) and both found the routine monotonous, so we’d sleep in every Sunday, go out to eat lunch and spend the afternoons watching matinees at the theaters, often back-to-back movies. That stayed the case for 5 or 6 years. Still faithful to the bible & its teachings, but not someone who was active in my church.

Then, something happened after our kids were born. My dad left the church - the one where my mom is buried – that I was raised in. He visited several in the area & fell in love with one about 8 miles from my house, which was convenient because my ‘old’ church was about 20 miles away. I kept staying at home, for the most part, content on scrambling my fantasy football team members at noon instead of listening to a sermon. My wife decided to visit said church with my Dad and she couldn’t stop raving about it. When she described the service after the 9/11 attacks, I knew I had to give it a once-over.

Haven’t stopped, since.

I. Love. My. Church. It took all of about 3 months for me to leave my ‘old’ church and join, and I couldn’t be happier. My spiritual cup is filled every week and I’m finding myself going to extra services (like, last night, book of Ruth) just to keep it going. My daughter was baptized last month in my church. My son attends Sunday school at the church and he loves it (says, “that’s Jesus” whenever he sees a cross). We no longer participate in the normal Halloween routine, but gather with the church in its parking lot where everyone dresses up themselves & their vehicles and we rent those big inflatable slides/jump-thingies for the children and a few hundred church-goers all have fun divvying out candy and laughing in safety - which is the real reason we do it. Nothing to do with Christianity, per se, but making sure that the kids are safe while they’re Trick-or-Treating and letting both parents enjoy their escapades instead of one having to say at home & dish out candy.

As a matter of fact, and I’m not 100% sure on this, but I’m probably going to follow through, the next few weeks will probably find me volunteering for our church’s “angel ministry”, which entails members volunteering to entertain special needs children so that their parents can enjoy a Saturday afternoon “off” and enjoy themselves. Example: let’s take Todd & Sarah Palin. They could drop Trig off at my church, where I & several kids/members will play basketball, toys, volleyball, watch videos, play games, etc., with them while Todd & Sarah get to enjoy a stress-free afternoon together doing whatever they wish…free. Studies show that couples with autistic children, for example, have an 80% divorce rate. If the Angel Ministry can help couples in our area, then it’s worth me giving up a Saturday afternoon.

And all this would come about because of what I’ve seen at my church. Well, all that plus my knowing what Jesus said the most important two commandments were (in this case, focusing on the second….google it).

Jay, if your spiritual appetite is satiated half as much as mine is every Sunday, you’re in for quite a treat. Great news!

Besides, giving up a Sunday morning is the least I can do in order to worship someone who literally gave his life for me.
-

Rustmeister said...

That's pretty much my story as well.

I figured to get my son some religious background now, that way he (hopefully) won't get sucked in by a Jim Jones/David Koresh wannabe when he gets older.

Borepatch said...

Well done, Jay. Bravo.

Sabra said...

This sort of thing always makes me glad. There is a renewal at a good church that you can't get anywhere else, in my experience. And I have always found the liturgy (you'd recognize it; I'm Episcopalian) enables me to relax and get closer to God.

As well, I have found the church indispensable for many things. You can do good on your own, but it is easier and sometimes more effective with a group.

I wish you well.

AnarchAngel said...

I returned to the church three years ago; and brought my wife with me.

I'd never had a problem with god; it was the church I had a problem with.

I decided, based on some good advice, that I wouldn't let the churches political failings stop me from exercising my faith as I chose.

Jay G said...

rw,

You're more than welcome to post long comments here at any time. You should know that. :)

I'll admit to having my own issues with the church, more specifically, with the church-going experience. I've been the churchs that preach the fire-and-brimstone - nothing more off-putting than hearing about how we're all going to hell for an hour.

And I have *never* understood why someone thinks they're fulfilling their holy obligation to "keep holy the Sabbath Day" by going to a certain building for an hour (or less) and sleeping through the sermon...

I'd rather stay home and celebrate Him quietly in my own way than drag my butt to a specific building and disrespect him by falling asleep during His messenger's sermons...

I'll reserve judgement on the new church until I've gotten a better sampling. So far, it looks good...

rustmeister,

Exactly. I didn't just want to let my kids think that religion was unimportant because I don't believe in it. It is very important to a lot of people; done right it can be a force for incredible good and self-fulfillment. Done wrong, you've got Heaven's Gate, Koresh, or jihadis...

But I wanted them to have something to build on - they've been to Vacation Bible School for a couple of summers now (sent by my atheist wife, go figure) and have shown a willingness to learn about G-d and Jesus.

And I'm most familiar/comfortable with the Roman Catholic faith as that's how I grew up - I'll be able to better answer their questions on the RC faith than, say, Lutherans or Church of Christ. Not that other religions are unimportant or lesser, mind you, just that I know most about RC....

Thanks, Ted.

sabra,

Thank you for the kind words. It's too early to make a judgement about whether this is "the" church for me, or merely "a" church along the journey; I haven't been enough to comment either way.

Re: Episcopalian - I have a good friend who was a deacon in an Episcopalian church. He described as Catholic Lite - all the religion, half the guilt... :)

chris,

I didn't have a problem with a specific church, per se; I had a problem with organized religion overall.

The more I talked to people, though, the more I realized that while I still don't trust organized religion, there is a world of good that each individual church does. I realized that I owed it to myself and my children to at least give our local church a shot...