Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Movin' Up...

In keeping with my resolution to add more muscle mass as the next step in my fitness regimen, I'm paying closer attention to my current weightlifting routine. Now, right now it's just light freeweights, some curls, flies, etc. to tone up the arms. Eventually I want to add some presses, leg lifts, etc. - I want to get to the point where I'm doing cardio 2-3 times a week and lifting 2-3 times.

I lifted weights pretty much all through college. The dorm I lived in had a gym in the basement that, since it was a college dorm populated with invincible college students, didn't see a lot of use. I used to go down with a couple guys in my suite that were big into lifting, and managed to get myself into fairly decent shape. There were a handful of free weights available, but mainly it was a giant universal machine with bench, military, and leg press stations, and a butterfly/pull-down station (kinda like this).

I ran a pretty standard routine, running through bench press, then military, then pull-downs, then legs. I'd do four sets of 10 reps (I'm doing five sets of 10 with the curls and flies now), then move on to the next station. I'd work out at a weight that, by the fourth set, would have me struggling; when I could easily blast through all four sets I knew it was time to add more weight.

That was the greatest feeling I got when lifting, when it was time to move up...

Just hit me tonight when I ran through all five sets on the curls. It's time to add more weight to the bar for my curls - time to add on another 5 pounds and start over. Looks like I'll need to pick up some more free weights. Oh darn...

That is all.

5 comments:

RW said...

Tip: Drop the cardio to two times per week, MAX. When there's little fat, and there's very little fat on you my friend, cardio is likely to burn muscle. If you feel that your increased calories is causing more fat gain that muscle gain & too quickly, you can add in some cardio.

Eat, lift heavy, eat, rest, eat, sleep, eat, then lift again.

Muscles need calories & protein go grow.

Jay G said...

RW,

That's the plan, actually. Once I get a weight bench set up, I want to do MWF lifting, Tu/Th cardio.

I figure I can fine-tune the caloric intake (including sources; I know carbs and protein are what I need to add mass) once I adjust to the change in exercise.

But first, I need to clean out my damn office...

RW said...

You may even take a few weeks off from cardio AT ALL. Tu & Thu may be too much right now, buddy. I know it sounds crazy on the surface, but cardio doesn't build muscle. None. Zero. Zip. Doesn't tone, doesn't sculpt, doesn't manage, doesn't give flexibility. Cardio burns calories, which you're already doing on your own.

Like Mrs. Claus said: eat, poppa, eat! :)

FYI, check your e-mail.

Sabra said...

The weights are the only thing I truly miss about my gym membership. SAC has a gym, but you can't use it before 2pm, & by then I have to get moving to pick up my daughter from her school. I seriously need to join the Y or something.

With my back problems, I naturally have a very weak upper body; lifting helps to mitigate that & also to lessen the back pain. It's a pity more women don't lift.

Jay G said...

RW,

What you're saying makes excellent sense - and once I get the weight room set up, I will probably do just that.

As for eating, I've been slowing introducing more protein (peanut butter, yum yum) but keeping the calories more or less constant until I begin weight training. I figure I'll add in 500 calories to start and see what happens (3K day!).

Got the e-mail. I lost your # when my last cell phone died - if you could shoot me that # again I'd like to give a call to chat!

sabra,

We're YMCA members, and I can't use their gym because of the hours - they don't open until 6 AM (Mrs. G. goes to work at 6 or 6:30 and DYS frowns on leaving kids home alone...) and they close @ 9, which doesn't leave a lot of time after the kids go to bed.

And what I've found is that if it's not convenient, I won't do it - hence why I want to get a bench in the house. Even something as simple as a pair of dumbbells for light work and a straight bar for dead lifts and curls would be a start (thinking...)

I'm finding as I get into it more that I'm really hitting that endorphin rush during lifting - it's addictive as hell, and makes me want to push harder. Which, at my advanced age (*g*) isn't always a good thing... ;)

One of the greatest things I've found with all the exercise is that I bounce back a LOT faster than I ever did after heavy exertion. I don't even want to think about all the heavy lifting I did at the Cub Scout overnight two weeks ago, but by the end of the day Sunday I was fine.

Just be VERY careful not to over-stress your back and it can be quite beneficial to your overall health and your back specifically. Good luck!