Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Paradox...

Okay. I've brought the G30 to the range twice. Both times it's fed, fired, and ejected everything I've run through it, from Blazer aluminum-cased FMJs to Federal +P Hydra-Shoks to WWB FMJs to 25+ year old Remington JHPs. Gun runs well. Very well. If I'm doing my part (which isn't all that often, but...) I can even hit the center of the target during rapid fire drills at 10 yards:



Full complement (9 round initial, 15 round backup), fired as fast as possible. Not too shabby if I do say so myself. Yes, I still have plenty of work to do smoothing out the trigger pull, but given that this is only the second time I've shot the gun, I'm pretty happy with the results. Room for improvement (which we all know means... more shooting needed!), but more than adequate for self-defense.

So where's the paradox? Well, it's a Glock. It's a clinical piece of hardware, clunky and chunky, plastic and sterile. It works, it works well, but it's got no soul, like a good ol' Model 10. It's got that stupid trigger safety, which I still to this day do not like nor understand.

But I do lurves me some .45 ACP goodness in my carry gun; even better when I can carry 25 rounds of .45 ACP with only one extra magazine. If I can't get the job done with 25 rounds of .45 ACP hollow points, well, it's time to find out how fast I can run... Considering that my summer carry is a J-frame with a Speed strip (11 rounds total) or the Kel-Tec and a spare mag (13 rounds total), I'm pretty well-heeled with the Glock...

Even if it is Tupperware™...

That is all.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I've got a Ruger P-345. It definitely doesn't have the spirit of say a 1911. But it's not quite as soulless as my Glock.

Does that mean it has "half a soul"?

- N.U.G.U.N.

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

Tell me about it. With any luck, I'll be legal for conceal carry in all the surrounding states except Delaware by around election day. I want to be a purist and carry the 1911. But dang it, I'm leaning toward the up and coming Euro gun.

At least it's .40

Jay G said...

the_saj,

Ain't nothing wrong with the P-345 (well, it's a tad heavy for CCW, but that's just my opinion...)

It's a Ruger. It's heavy. It's clunky. It'll still work after a direct nuclear hit.

It's got soul.

T-Bolt,

Aren't you in MD? I didn't know they allowed CCW there...

I'm only licensed in MA and NH; I need to get my ME permit in the near future and I'm covered for anywhere in New England I want to go... ;)

Anonymous said...

j,
2 states nave no ccw of any type, illinois & wisconsin.

Anonymous said...

Do you have the Pierce finger extentsion mag plates for the Glock? Get some on the mags and you should see the controllability come back. My 29 likes to flip more because the pinkie is just hanging in the breeze. I do much better with the extentions.

Working one of these plastic fantastic pistols does take so time to get used to. It pays you back by not having to baby the pistol or worry about it getting dirty - it just keeps on going. Just watch your trigger pull and you'll be fine.

Joe R.

Old NFO said...

Maybe no soul, but it just keeps on running... Much as I love my .45, the G-26 is MUCH lighter and easier to carry and conceal... sigh...

Oh yeah, that's pretty good for second time out of the box! Looked like you were anticipating there toward the end when a couple dropped a little low/right

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

No, no shall issue in MD.

But an out of state UTAH CCW lets me carry in the 3 closest to me neighbor states

Cowboy Blob said...

Bah! Get over your Tupperwareophobia! Drink the Kool-Aid!