Friday, December 12, 2008

Quel Difference...

I noticed something when I got dressed for work today. We've got a "casual Friday" atmosphere, which is really nice, and recently they started allowing the non-lab personel to wear jeans on Fridays. Which means that I had to go out and buy presentable jeans - most of mine get worn when mowing the lawn, riding the Harley, helping friends move, etc., so they're, well, nasty...

There's a world of difference between jeans that are tight because you bought them that way and jeans that are tight because you got too damned fat for them...

It's a good feeling. It's a feeling I'd never experienced before - I'd always had the latter reason for tight jeans, which meant that it was time to admit defeat and go out and buy the next size up (actually, it was usually two sizes up, as I'd wait until the jeans were nearly cutting me in half before admitting that I'd gained that much weight...).

One of the really interesting observations I've made through my weight-loss journey is that we as a culture seem to be getting much fatter. When I was in college in the late 1980s, the "popular" clothes stopped at (for men) a waist size of 36 inches. After that it was Wrangler jeans and "Obese & Gangly Gentleman" shopping. Looking around today, I can't help but notice that the trendy clothes now go up to 42 or even 44 inch waists - apparently the lust for the almighty dollar has eclipsed the desire to keep the fatasses out of the trendy clothes...

Ah, capitalism. You unabashed whore...

One last thought: I've gone from not being able to find my size because it was too big (44") to not being able to find my size because it's too small (30"). Although I have to admit - in this case, I can win for losing... Looks like I'm going to have to follow Ricky's program and bulk up some, just so I can have more options...

That is all.

10 comments:

red said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
red said...

I've wear a 30 or 32, and it's tough to find jeans that are a normal fit. Good luck on your quest and congrats on the weight loss!

Strings said...

Remember that you should add an inch or two to deal with your IWB... ;)

Jay G said...

That's why I keep the size 32s around...

:)

RW said...

My problem is that all the really good pants/jeans that are on sale stop at 32 length.

Anonymous said...

Jay, as someone that is outgrowing his 42's... i would DIE to get into 30's...

so, since you seem to know what's what, help me out a bit...

where do i start on a successful weight loss journey?

Actually i started back in August by quitting smoking.

Jay G said...

RW,

You want to know the weirdest part, the part I can't quite figure out?

My inseam got longer after I lost weight. I thought for certain it would get shorter, as my gut was no longer sucking up the inches. I went from a 30 inch inseam (really a 31") to between a 32 and 34"...

And yeah. You can sometimes find a 34". After that, SOL...

Chris,

That's an excellent question. I'll work on it over the weekend and have a "weight loss primer" for you on Monday, how's that sound?

Anonymous said...

that works, i just switched to a new work schedule and have considered joining a gym...

GeorgeH said...

Back in the day, men's jeans started at a 36 and went up by the single inch to 32 before shifting to a double digit increase.


I noticed a number of the quality men's casual catalogs now go up to a 46. A dozen years ago they stopped at 38 or 40.

GeorgeH said...

Uhh, they started out at a 26 and went up by the single inch to 32 before shifting to a double digit increase to 36.

Try finding a pair of 31s these days.