Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Why I Carry, Part ???

BU Med Student Arrested In 'Craigslist Killing'
BOSTON (WBZ) ― A 22-year-old Boston University medical student has been arrested in connection with a woman's murder and an attempted robbery at two luxury hotels in downtown Boston.

Police identified the suspect as Philip Markoff of Quincy. Boston police Commissioner Ed Davis and Suffolk County District Attorney Dan Conley made the announcement Monday night.

Homicidal psychopaths - reason number 573 why I carry. Who's to say this guy couldn't have posted an ad for a motorcycle, children's bicycle, or any other number of items that I might be interested in? Unless and until we come up with a way to strategically excise the criminally insane - without crapping all over the Constitution *or* turning into a police state - I will continue to trust in Mssrs Smith & Wesson or Gaston for my own protection.

.45 ACP: Making undesirables re-think their line of work for over 100 years...

That is all.

5 comments:

TOTWTYTR said...

Uh Jay, I didn't know that you were a Craigslist call girl. ;) Would seem to be his "target" demographic.

Jay G said...

In *this* particular case, yes.

Next guy could have something against bikers. Or gun nuts. Or Republicans.

Point is, there's fucked up people everywhere, and it's not limited to the mouthbreathing knuckledragger set.

Had this guy had a little more common sense, and been able to better cover his tracks, who knows how long he would have gone on?

Anonymous said...

Well, I'd say something about how certain criminals should be summarily executed upon conviction, such as premeditated murderers, rapists, child molesters, and so on, but considering the efficiency of the government in other areas, I'm hesitant to trust the court system to be truly foolproof, especially given the quality of your average 'peer'.

That said... maybe if we would lock these guys up and throw away the key, only releasing them when reasonable doubt truly exists (new evidence or something) rather than on a technicality, this kind of shit would be less prevalent. Yeah, I know it doesn't apply here, but something like 98% of violent criminals are repeat offenders.

Oh, but we can't afford to incarcerate people long term? That's a common excuse for releasing criminals early, right? How about we stop throwing people in jail for victimless crimes and start worrying about the really bad ones...? Ahem, DEA/ATF, I'm looking at you.

But yeah, I carry absolutely everywhere myself. At least a 38 or 9mm, and at least one reload; one of my 1911s is preferred, but not always possible in El Paso weather. I have a ruined knee, so running is not an option for me should an axe murderer want my skin for his lampshade.

TOTWTYTR said...

He's a medical student, they screen out for common sense during the application process. Believe me, I know. ;)

Weambulance, remember the liberals oppose the death penalty in part because it's more "cost effective" to put them in prison for life. Right.

Anonymous said...

I guess they're relying on their constituents failing basic arithmetic, huh?

I could be off by a few thousand, but the last I heard it costs about $60k per inmate per year in a federal prison. So, if you're in there for thirty years, there goes 1.8 million dollars, not including the court costs of ten appeals.

With jury reform and actual speedy trials, plus limitations on appeals for death penalty candidates, we could cut costs down to a fifth of that or less. Give them two appeals or four years, whichever comes quickest, then break out the M1 Garands for a probably too merciful execution.

Ammo's kind of expensive these days, but I'll take $7.50 in 30-06 over another million or two keeping some predator alive.