Thursday, May 14, 2009

Even More Hate...

Apparently today is the day for "stuff Jay hates"... Between the Vicious Circle hate, the hate of parents who fatten up their offspring, and rampant political correctness, what's left, you ask?

Well, the sheer unmitigated idiocy of the "K-Cup". I mean, could we possibly get more wasteful here? Every single cup of coffee you drink is accompanied by a little plastic cup that will never, ever biodegrade. Which, to quite a few people, is apparently preferrable to those nasty ol' #2 filters that will often start breaking down while still in the coffeemaker.

I really don't grok the Keurig coffeemaker, I don't. They're loud. They're wasteful. They're expensive. In fact, the only possible positive to the Keurig is that it allows you to make many different types of coffee in a short period of time. For someone like me, who just wants a cup of joe to start the day, the Keurig is about as useful as a kickstand on a tank (hat tip to Tam for that one).

I've got a Mr. Coffee coffeemaker that's gotta be 15 years old. It has a timer, which is the only criteria for a coffeemaker upon which I will insist. I pour in the water, I put in my #2 basket filter, I put in two scoops of my $2/lb. coffee (Cafe Caribe, the official coffee of the G. household!), and in the morning I wake up to a half a pot of pipin' hot java. End of story.

There's simply no need for a $150 coffeemaker running $1/shot java in a Mother Gaia-killing plastic cup. None.

That is all.

13 comments:

West, By God said...

Hippie. :)

Brad_in_MA said...

Jay,

I use Trader Joes #4 large coffee filters in my uber-expensive capresso coffee maker. I add water, add the beans, set the timer, etc. Sadly, this weekend is pivotal for me. As part of prepping for my knee surgery -- which is four weeks from today -- I have to purge all caffeine from my system. This is the weekend I go cold-turkey. Wish me luck -- I'll need it.

For those who don't know, I've been three to four mugs of heavy, thick, almost chewy black coffee per day -- for the last 32 years. This weekend's gonna hurt. I just know it. I have the pain meds, the Vodka, the Scotch, etc. all ready to go.

BTW, Jay . . . I agree with your assessment on platic. The stuff is devil-spawn.

- Brad

Sigivald said...

Yeah. Hippie.

(But the Keurig is for offices and the like, more than anything else... or for people who don't drink their coffee like honest men do, by the pot.

And for an office, with staggered demand, nobody wanting stale coffee, and lots of different tastes, it almost makes sense. Sorta.

Every time an employee wants a cup of coffee, they get a cup of fresh coffee of the sort they want. That's kinda a win, there.)

Jake (formerly Riposte3) said...

We have one at our rescue station, and it has solved the problem of someone leaving a partially full pot for a day or two, or leaving the hot plate on and burning the coffee to the bottom of the pot. That happens when you get called away unexpectedly (say, for a heart attack or car accident) and don't get back for several hours.

It meets a need, like Sigivald said, and it does it quite well.

Also, they do have a reusable filter for it that takes whatever coffee you want to put in it.

Jay said...

I just want to know where you got a Mr. Coffee that's lasted 15 years.
I go through one every other year at home and one a year at the office.

Home on the Range said...

I prefer someone who drinks their coffee by the pot, not the tiny little pre-made cup (it's easier to spin them around, get them dizzy, and take advantage of them). :-)

Sevesteen said...

I don't want to get used to outstanding coffee. I want my tongue to accept coffee that is simple enough to make before I've had coffee.

I do grind fresh, but the grinder is pre-set to give the right amount, so it is actually easier than measuring out from a can.

agg79 said...

I'm a one pot, one ranger kind of guy. No fancy frufru frilly expresso/cappicino machine that costs more than my first bike. After more than a few years of drinking army coffee, I prefer mine strong and fresh.

Keep it black, keep it hot, and keep it coming.

Old NFO said...

Good one! I need a pot at a time though... :-)

SpeakerTweaker said...

(Cafe Caribe, the official coffee of the G. household!)I swear to Shiva I had to do a double-take when I thought I read "Cafe Carbine"!!!

I'd buy THAT by the truckload!



tweaker

Anonymous said...

I just wanna' know where you get coffee for $2 a pound??? The link has Cafe Caribe at $8.50 for 10 oz!

Rick in NY said...

Mmmmm, Coffee, aka, liquid conciousness.

I have a small Bunn on the counter next to the sink, and use a stainless mesh filter basket and an all-stainless carafe that keeps a pot warm all day long. The filter basket's the best, dump the old grounds down the drain, or add them to your compost pile. Rinse the basket, place it back in the machine, and you're ready to brew all over again. Plus I've only had to buy it once, and it's now four years old.

Oh, and K-cups are evil IMHO.

Jake (formerly Riposte3) said...

"Mmmmm, Coffee, aka, liquid conciousness."

I think Rick in NY wins the internets today.