Thursday, August 20, 2009

MArooned Review: The Hunt for Red October

I sat down and watched The Hunt for Red October last night. It was the first time I’ve actually sat down and watched the entire movie start to finish. I’ve forgotten - or perhaps never fully appreciated - what a great movie tHfRO is. Alec Baldwin, Sean Connery, Senator Fred Dalton Thompson, Roy Schneider… the cast is a veritable who’s who in Hollywood dramatic cinema, and everyone in this movie turns in a fantastic performance.

But you already know that. In fact, you’ve known that for nearly 20 years now.

What struck me the most, however, was the technology. I’m certain that when tHfRO came out, much of the technology showcased was either state of the art (sonar equipment) or at least commonplace (reel-to-reel tape recorders!). Watching it, though, brought back the memories of living through the 1980s all over again, from the first generation touchtone phone (complete with office-ready light-up secretary buttons!) to the ubiquitous Crown Vic signifying “faceless government bureaucrat” to the omnipresent cigarette smoking…

It’s amazing. For $5 at Wal-Mart, I was able to relive being 18 years old again. Only instead of being on summer break from college watching a rented VHS tape in my parents’ basement, I was watching it on an LCD TV in my recreational vehicle on vacation at the Cape. And thinking the entire time, “I need to blog this!”

La plus ca change, c’est le meme chose…

That is all.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

One ping only, Vasily. A guy I work with has that as his ringtone.

Rick in NY said...

"Ryan, just remember, some things in here do not react well to bullets."

I can still hear Sean Connery's gravely voice delivering that line. Now I need to go watch it! BTW, I bought tHfRO on DVD about 5 years ago, and while it's a great movie, it pales in comparison to the book.

Thanks Jay!

Ambulance Driver said...

"Roy Scheider???"

Um, don't remember the guy from Jaws being in THRO.

You're not talking about Scott Glenn, playing the role of Capt. Bart Mancuso, are you?

Atom Smasher said...

Baldwin was a much better Ryan than Ford ever could be.

"*I* have to worry about what *I* shoot at?!?"

doubletrouble said...

Dude...you're on the Cape, in a veritable vacation paradise with the ocean schlepping at your front door, & you're watching a DVD??!!?

chris said...

Best guy movie of the 80's

freddyboomboom said...

The scenes in the "Dallas" were filmed on a one of the last diesel boats to be made for the USN...

And it's sitting in a river in Portland Frikken Oregon.

And visitors to the Oregon Museum Of Science And Industry can tour it.

jimbob86 said...

I just hope my last words are not "I would have liked to see Montana....."

Toastrider said...

Nope. 'Twas Scott Glenn, although I suppose the two do look a little alike (although I think Lance Henriksen looks more like Scott Glenn than Roy Schneider does).

It really is an excellent movie though :)

Becky said...

I am a huge Tom Clancy fan! Loved "Hunt for Red October," along with all of the others that followed..."Patriot Games," and "Clear and Present Danger." I agree with Rick- the books are better! I think that this trilogy is what first got me interested in this genre. 20 years later and I still love to read political thrillers. My latest favorite book is Heath Daniels' latest book "Three Kisses," which pertains more to current military and war events. Just love how realistic and descriptive this author is. I highly recommend it.