Wednesday, August 12, 2009

*Sigh*

As y'all may have noticed, there is now, for the first time in 2½ years, a "Word Verification" feature enabled here @ MArooned. While I do have to admit to being a sucker for comments - even those that tell me what an idiot I am - I'm getting sick of wading through Chinese spam comments on a regular basis.

I'm hoping to avoid comment moderation - I know when I comment somewhere I like seeing my comment immediately, and I know I don't always have access to approve comments on a timely basis. It hasn't been a problem with spam up until very recently, so with any kind of luck simply forcing the word verification capture will eliminate this.

And if it proves to be too much of a pain in the ass we'll go back to the unmoderated version...

That is all.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ching chong, ching chong!

Anonymous said...

Tsin Song, nay ho mah?

Shootin' Buddy

Rick in NY said...

Rit's awright, Jay-san. Re finger owt how too bi-prass your new seecrureity.

MeatAxe said...

Think about it this way. your blog is now important enough to attract Chinese spam.

libertyman said...

No hardship here.

Heath J said...

wrek the halls with bowls of rorry...

Rah rah rah rah rah....

Comrade Misfit said...

I was getting spam, too. I enabled the word verification. Then a couple of readers who accessed by dial-up said it slowed things too much, so I took it off.

But I noticed that the spammers, for some weird reason, were targeting posts that were over a week old.So I enabled moderation for those posts.

seems to work.

YMMV.