Monday, March 22, 2010

New Shooter Report

Well, it's the third month of 2010 and I've got my second new shooter to report. Paul from Boston contacted me via e-mail a few weeks ago with a request:
I have been following your blog every now and then for the past year and I am finally going to make the jump to apply for my LTC Class-A in Boston. I found a website that outlines what needs to be done and I have printed out all the needed forms, signed up for the NRA safety course (which happens to be tomorrow) and I am applying to join a gun club, [redacted]. I chose that club because it is close to my Fathers and he said he would join it if I do and he is taking my step-brother there
for their junior rifle training.

I was wondering what range you go to? I'm sure you have said it plenty of times, and I tried to do a search and couldn't find it (or gave up too soon?) I am a new shooter and if you were in the area, it would be awesome to learn from you before I head to Moon Island for the range test.
This past Saturday I took Paul to my range for an informal new shooter session. I brought along the normal complement of firearms - a .22LR revolver and semi-auto and centerfire equivalents - and we ran through the basic safety instructions. Since Paul had already taken the NRA course it was a quick recap, and we got right to the shooting.

Paul with S&W model 17

Here's Paul with the Smith & Wesson model 17. Since he's taking the test at Moon Island with a Ruger Speed Six, I figured we'd concentrate on revolvers for this outing. Starting with the easy-to-shoot model 17 allowed him to get a feel for both the single action and double action trigger pulls without worrying about recoil or flinch.


Since he'd be shooting a Ruger wheelgun at his range test in less than a week, I brought the Security Six along for the day with a goodly amount of .38 special ammo. A couple cylinders' worth to get started, and he was off and running:

Paul with Ruger Security Six


He was a little nervous about the upcoming range test, and rightfully so. With the number of public ranges that will rent firearms to folks without permit hovering somewhere in the single digits, it's tough for someone like Paul to get any practice in (gee, you think this might be intentional?). I told him he had nothing to worry about, and as it turns out, I was right:

Typical Target

That bottom target represents the Ruger fired DA at 25 feet, 12 rounds. The test is given at 7 and 15 yards, so this is actually a little further away than the close test. The targets shown are peel-n-sticks that are 8" across, which is about as wide as the 9 ring on the NRA B27 that is given at Moon Island. All 12 shots are easily in the 9 ring, and 10 of the 12 are in the 10 ring or the X. With those 12 shots he's more than halfway to passing - and he gets 30 total.


We did have a little fun while we were shooting. I brought the Remington Nylon 66 and 572 for some stress relief - nothing like loading up a tube magazine full of .22LR and chewing the center out of a target. Here's Paul with the pump-action .22LR:

Paul with Remington 572



Come to find out, there's a reason Paul was such a killer shot with a rifle: He grew up around one of the most famous snipers ever.

Young Paul and Carlos

Yeah. That's who you think it is.


All in all, I'd say we had a pretty good day at the range. Paul agreed with me, too, writing back about his experience:
Thank you again for taking me out shooting. You can take full credit for how I was shooting because that was the first time I have actually had direction on how to shoot, especially with the one-two handed and single-double action. You helped me out a ton and I feel much more comfortable about taking my test next friday, which I was having a lot of anxiety about.
Paul, believe me, it was my pleasure. I'm glad I was able to help you pick up some tips and familiarity with handguns before your range test. From what I saw, you'll do fantastic (and, for the record, Paul has promised to let me know how he did - I predict he'll pass easily with a wide margin above the 210 out of 300 needed).

As an aside, the day I took Paul to my gun club was the busiest day I've seen on the pistol range in the two years I've been a member at my club. While we were there shooting, we had a guy come in bringing his two sons, a friend, and the friend's son; as they finished up we were joined by two women - who were trying out new carry guns! I love my club. It was a gorgeous day to be at the range; a great day spent helping someone get some trigger time before their range test and helping calm the jitters.

Best of luck on Friday, Paul - not that you're going to need it, of course!

That is all.

8 comments:

libertyman said...

Good on you Jay!

Anonymous said...

Awesome job, Jay!
We had a total gunny weekend here.
Started Friday night with the HUGE (1200 people) Friends of NRA dinner. Didn't win anything, but had a great time. CCDL had 40 members attend, and my club had another 40-50. Got to hear Wayne LaPierre speak, and get my pic taken with him. Saturday was spent at the club with my wife and a friend; put more rounds downrange then I can count. Sunday went back to the club, hung out and lent moral support to the basic pistol class, drooled over another member's Krag, then finally shot a bit before retiring to the bar in the clubhouse. What a great weekend!

Stretch said...

Carlos!?!?!! OMFG!! Touched by Greatness indeed. That's gotta be the coolest thing I'll see all week/month.

KurtP said...

Dom they make a differentation in licenses up there?

In Texas, if you use a wheel gun on your CHP that goes on your permanent record and you can only use a revolver as conceiled. If tou use an autoloader you can carry what you want.

Jay G said...

KurtP,

Nope. You don't "qualify" anywhere other than Boston, actually. MA requires a gun safety course - some of which don't even have a shooting component - and most of that's done with either a .38 Special revolver or a .22LR semi-auto (I did my course a million years ago with a S&W model 41).

The reason we concentrated on revolvers for Paul's trip is that the test for Boston licensees is conducted with a Ruger Speed Six 4" revolver. I figured the Security Six was a pretty darn close double for it, and Paul got to put a good 50 or so rounds through it...

As well as about double that through the model 17...

Mark and Nancy said...

thanks a lot for taking my son paul shooting...it's awesome that you do this with new shooters.

paul probably didn't tell you, but his grandfather and carlos were one of the original one's to start the marine sniper program...paul's grandfather was his shooting instructor on the marine corps shooting team. that picture of carlos and paul was taken for me when i was in the persian gulf war while in the marines.

take care...great website...awesome what you're doing!

mark

Jay G said...

Mark,

The pleasure was entirely mine. You've raised a fine young man there, very polite and respectful to his elders (me).

And he's a pretty good shot to boot! I'm curious to see just how he does on Friday. I'm certain he'll pass, I'm just wondering how close to perfect he'll get...

Thanks for clarifying the exact relationshop with Carlos Hathcock - Paul did mention it, but there was so much going on I forgot the specifics and didn't want to get it wrong.

Once Paul gets his permit we'll all have to get together to celebrate. :)

Aaron Miller said...
This comment has been removed by the author.