Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Gunnie Gifts...

Greg from West by God had an interesting suggestion:
I've got a great idea... "what firearms an overpaid contractor in Iraq should acquire upon coming home from a year in the desert."

Heh. I only have 7 months left to plan.
Well, while his is pretty specific, I broadened it to mean, "Jay, what would you recommend someone get as a firearm for a special occasion/gift/'OMG I Survived Don't Ever Do That Again' Present?"

Now, obviously, there are about as many answers to this question as there are gunnies out there. Some would choose a high-end target pistol; others an insanely ornate over-under shotgun; still others would opt for a match-quality AR-15 variant. Any one of these would be a fantastic idea, subject only to the whim of the buyer. I guess for the sake of this exercise, there's a few qualifiers we'll toss in before we get going...

1. We'll assume that the buyer in question has a fundamental grasp of firearms and their function and as such is not constrained by being unfamiliar with 1911s, AR-15s, or short-barreled revolvers.
2. We'll assume that the expenditure is going to be sizable but not unlimited; otherwise the list would be filled with full auto goodness or H&H double rifles.
3. The firearm to be acquired should be extravagant yet functional - no safe queens or collector holy grails need apply.
4. Lastly, the buyer does not have any gaping holes in their armory that should be filled first - long range rifle, home defense shotgun, intermediate power carbine, etc. are covered by the existing armory already.

With those caveats in place, here are some ideas I have for how Greg can spend his hard-earned ducats (and please Beth, don't kill me...)

1. High(er) end 1911 target pistol. Les Baer, Ed Brown, S&W Performance Center, Kimber Gold Match, etc. Now, granted, it would be easy to drop the equivalent of a nice used car on a custom 1911, but picking up a higher end gun for under two large should be achievable.

2. Long range bolt action. Much like the high end 1911, this is another one of those open-ended quests where one could easily spend the GDP of several small nations on a rifle and glass. Something in .308 Win or larger with a scope capable of 300+ yard resolution would fit the bill nicely. Extra points for heavy barrel and bipod. Try to avoid anything with "tactical" in the name.

3. Two words: Colt Python. They're rare and getting rarer, but examples in excellent condition can still be found for under $2K. Find one of the older models with the rich, deep bluing, or one of the nickel versions. 6" barrel is a must.

4. Match grade AR-15 variant. Something with a 20" - 24" stainless heavy barrel, flattop upper for optics, and competition stock with cheek rest. Something that'll shoot rings around the typical Fudd rifle just for kicks...

5. Obsolete/rare milsurp. I'm thinking something in the SVT-40 or FN-49 family. Take home something with an exotic pedigree and not get in trouble with the Missus!


So there's my list of potential acquisitions. I'm sure there are many other options I haven't covered, but I was trying to offer a broad spectrum of choices. Each item on this list is something I'd like to get someday, but are either duplicates/improvements of existing guns or else so impractical that spending the money just isn't an option. In Greg's case, he's earned himself something pricey and/or impractical.

What would you recommend he get?

That is all.

15 comments:

Tango said...

After my brother in law came back from his first tour in Iraq with a Purple Heart, his friend bought him a S&W 500 4" for surviving.

Weer'd Beard said...

My dream is to one day have a 1911 hand-built for me. Go to a reputable gunsmith (I'm Looking at you Greg Derr http://www.derrprecision.com/ )

And sit down with him and talk about the ideas I have, and see what ideas he has and get a gun that is 100% me and my tastes with every last bit and piece, from every screw and roll-pin to the checkering on the front-strap picked by me because I liked that very feature/item more than anything else available to me.

Oh yeah! For now it is only in my dreams...

skidmak said...

Surviving time in the sandbox deserves time to sit around and tell war stories - I mean tall tales - I mean regale friends and strangers with tales of derring-do - I mean recount how gawd-awful it was and how glad you are to be home in one piece.

And doing that requires the wearing of a gen-you-wine Barbecue Gun worthy of also serving as a Church Gun. Tastelully engraved, with maybe a very small touch of precious metal inlay here and there. And stocks made from some body part of a dead mammal.

Nothing so bad as to let anybody thik it is a pimp-gun, or a narcotrafficante's pistola, let alone a mid-East shiek's playtoy. But something to say this firearm belongs to someone who no longer needs to worry about answering the question about couldya/wouldya.

Just a thought.

stay safe.

Butch Cassidy said...

Winchester 1887, an original one that is.

An obscenely accurate 22 pistol would be nice, say, a Colt Woodsman Match Target?

I assume the good gentleman would already have a US Rifle, Caliber 30, M1 since you said that all of the basics are already covered. A Winchester 1895 in 30-06 should then be purchased as a companion piece to burn some of the Garand's ammo stock.

Anonymous said...

Well Jay morning from the left coast.

If it were I the only place I would go to get myself a new toy would be here

http://www.mcmfamily.com/

I already have one of these the in the 338

http://www.mcmfamily.com/mcmillan-rifles-lrh-308.php

and I love it. It is a gun I will be passing on to my child this I know for sure.

My two cents for what it's worth.

Cavedogg

IZinterrogator said...

My present to myself for graduating from the Iraqi School of Urban and Desert Warfare was a Nighthawk Custom 1911 built exactly to my specifications. I didn't go the BBQ gun route, though; I spec'd it out like I would be taking it back there with me.

Veeshir said...

Big Horn Armory makes a .500 S&W lever action.

It's one of those guns you don't need, you want.

If something is worth shooting, it's worth over-shooting.

West, By God said...

Butch - don't have a Garand. Getting one in addition to my "special" gun.

"And stocks made from some body part of a dead mammal." - and a whale-foreskin holster to go with it ;)

Definitely looking at BBQ Gun options.

Thanks for the thoughts dudes.

Wally said...

I'm thinking along the BBQ lines. Something that is just beautiful as sin and can be treated to an easy life in a soft holster.

I'm about 4 years out from kicking off this build, but it is going to involve a damascus slide (Caspian!) on a 1911. Still on the fence if I should go longslide or not, debating stainles or titanium frame, and leaning towards a chambering in 357sig just because I am touched in the head.

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

From what i know of contractor money, he could put in for a nice custom 1911 and easily afford it. That would be the Special-Gun route I'd personally take.

Or he can go the bulk route. Buy a crate of Mosin's.

West, By God said...

oooh. or a rhino in .357 just to be weird and contrary.

http://chiappafirearms.com/products/75

Bubblehead Les. said...

If you have a year's worth of Income Tax Free Pay to play with, why limit yourself to just one weapon? Two Identical pistols for 4+8 o'clock? A full battle set for you and the Significant Other? Multiple Cheap Moisens to place in safe keeping DEEP in the Woods just in case your house burns down? This is one of those problems I wish I had.

Veeshir said...

I just found out that Tactalite is coming out with a mag-fed, .50 BMG upper.
The magazine feeds from the side, obviously not through the lower's magwell.

Old NFO said...

Billy Laughridge at Cylinder and Slide... I like his better than my Ed Brown. For long range, Remington PSS in your choice of calibers, or a Barrett in .338 Lapua

Will Brown said...

A day late, but since it's not my money we're talkin' hopefully not too short.

All the gun suggestions are good one's each in their own way, but if it were me (and I indeed had the requisite gun basics already in safe) I think I'd go for a bespoke suit and sport coat w/ trousers, tailored for concealed carry (both shoulder and waist, so that would be at least two of each). Along with that, I'd buy custom-fit-to-the-guns-I-carry all the various styles of holster I could immediately fill; ankle, waist, shoulder, whatever. Finally, I'd buy tailored body armour to go with the suits/jackets (so, realisticly speaking we're up to three of each now, I expect).

If I had any spare change left after all that, maybe a "BBQ" slide to occasionaly dress up my existing 1911.

Fancy-dress guns are all well and good, but how many of us can dress ourselves up to match their standard? Nothing else says "I survived" quite like a set of clothes that fit you almost better than your skin does.