Friday, November 5, 2010

Friday Gun Pr0n #188

I gave some pretty strong hints about my new gun earlier this week, so I'll start with the unveiling:

My Favorite JMB (PBUH) Design

Smith & Wesson SW1911 with all the bells and whistles. Ambidextrous thumb safety. Extended beavertail. Adjustable trigger. Adjustable rear target sights. Textured front and rear strap. This 1911 gives my Gold Cup a run for the money in the extras department. It's also the first blued 1911 I own - the Gold Cup is stainless, the 1991s and the WWI 1911 are parkerized. It's also the only (current) non-Colt 1911 as well as the only 1911 I've ever had with an external extractor.

I bought it from a friend of mine who's been going through some rough times. He got laid off about six months ago, right before he and his wife had their first child; so things are starting to get tight and he was selling off some "safe queens" that he didn't shoot any more. Ordinarily I would have passed on this one - I didn't really have a lot of interest in another government sized 1911 - but to help a friend out it was worth it. I gave him my standard disclaimer: six months, a year from now, he finds himself in a position to buy it back, he can have it for exactly what I've got into it (what I paid plus the transfer).

So, twist my arm, I've got another 1911 in the armory - there's worse things in life...

That is all.

5 comments:

Brad_in_IL said...

Jay,

One question . . . WHEN??

Weer'd Beard said...

Have you shot it yet?

I'll attest to that gun personally, that its a slick shooter.

Hope you gave my best to the former owner. Hope better times find him soon.

Jay G said...

Brad,

November's actually significantly more open than October was. Not to mention there's a block of time coming up towards the end of the month... :) We'll figure something out.

Weer'd,

I just picked it up last night!

Hmmm. What's on the docket for Saturday night? Or can we call in to VC from the range? :D

I did pass along your regards, and I share your sentiment. He's the only reason I bought the gun, actually. While it's a great gun, I really don't need another government 1911.

Then again, if he doesn't want it back once he's back on his feet, I've got a dandy trade piece... ;)

Stretch said...

"Too many 1911s" is like "too much ammo." Aint no such thing.

And where do you mount the bayonet?

Brad_in_IL said...

Jay,
Spot me 2 boxes of 230-grain FMJ goodness (you know I'm good for it) and I'll go any time of year, any conditions. I am in need of LOTS of recoil therapy. Too bad you couldn't get a camp carbine. That would have been sweet indeed.

I'll check w/ my calendar manager. Soon. Very soon. VERY, VERY Soon.

- Brad