Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Rules? More Like Guidelines...

With the recent flurry of additions to the Dead Goblin Count (much appreciated; please keep 'em coming!), it became apparent that I needed to commit to print the various criteria I used to determine what does or doesn't count. I've had a rough idea of what should or shouldn't count, but never actually sat down and wrote down the various angles that ought to influence the decision. Here's my first attempt.

My reason for keeping the Dead Goblin Count it is to keep a running tally of the number of bad guys dispatched by law-abiding citizens using lawfully owned firearms. The goal is to document a clear pattern of necessary self-defense need for firearms by private citizens to counter the "only the police should have guns/why does anyone need a guns" argument trotted out by the antis. Criteria as I see it are:

1. The goblin actually has to die.

Part of this is, to be quite frank, bloodthirstiness on my part. Honestly, most of the DGC stories are goblins kicking in someone's door, herding folks into a back room of a convenience store, or similar violent encounter. In such cases, the goblin is fully prepared to kill their victim. I much prefer the reverse. The other part is that we're more likely to hear about a successful self-defense using a gun if the perp actually buys it.

2. The shooting has to take place in the USA.

If the point is to provide examples of the Second Amendment being necessary/relevant in today's day and age, it's critical that the DGU occur here. Now, don't get me wrong - any time a goblin is reduced to room temperature in the commission of a crime it's a beautiful thing, but it really should happen here to count.

3. The shooter cannot be law enforcement/private security.

One of the cornerstones of the anti-gun forces are the "guns are for the police" arguments; that private citizens don't need guns because the police will protect them. That and the police actively seek out the dregs of society, so we don't want to be accused of "running up the score"...

4. The shooter has to be law-abiding or reasonable semblance thereof.

Gangbanger 2 shooting Gangbanger 1 after Gangbanger 1 shot at Gangbanger 2 in a drive-by doesn't count. This is often a judgment call, and often times there's barely enough information in the report to make a call. Generally, a door getting kicked in and the kicker getting shot by the kickee is sufficient, but circumstances matter in these cases.

5. The shooting has to occur to stop the commission of a crime.

I declined one DGC addition because it was a father who shot his son after the son went off his meds and started stabbing the father. It's a defensive gun use, but not against a goblin. Same with folks who hear a noise and (in clear violation of Rule 4) fire in the general direction and hit a family member.

6. I reserve the right to add/reject as I see fit.

My blog, my Dead Goblin Count. *g* I am willing to listen to reasons as to why a particular shooting should count, but I do reserve the right to make the final decision.




Any other rules I ought to add?

That is all.

5 comments:

Farm.Dad said...

Take a hard look at that " private security" Jay . Sometimes an armed citizen performing a rescue is touted as " security " when they are in no way paid as a security officer . See Jeanie Assam who stopped the church shooter in Colorado Springs. She and some of the congregation who had CCW took on the task of protecting the congregation and were touted as " security guards " by much of the press, even tho they were unpaid and considered it part of their duty to church and fellow man .

Jim said...

Doesn't match the criteria, but this IS an example of defensive shooting...

http://wusa9.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=126170

Always nice to see these.

Jay G said...

FarmDad,

That's why I put in rule 6... ;)

agg79 said...

How about a special category for stoopid DGs that may expire in the course of their actions (like having their weapon taken from them)? Or perhaps, that earns them a few a few extra points.

Glenn B said...

I have a question about private security not being included. What about a private security guard not authorized to carry for work but who carries legally either with permit, license or without either legally under his state's laws. For example, Iam now working as a security guard. I am not authorized to carry for work because it is an unarmed position and because I do not have an armed guard license. So, if I shot someone invading my home, with a handgun, wouldn't that guy count as a gobli if all other criteria were met. Just using me as an example, I am not hoping to shoot anyone.

All the best,
GB