Friday, December 3, 2010

You Always Remember Your First...

*sniff*

They grow up so fast. At first, they're just spreading their fledgling gunblogger wings. Next thing you know, your blogchildren are flying the coop, leaving the Volksrepublik for warmer climes and buying their first gun. Borepatch hasn't even been a resident of Free America for a month, and he's already gone out and bought hisself a new heater. Go check it out - he got a good 'un - and read his dissertation on what it means to be a free man vis a vis owning a firearm. Wicked smaht, that one.

You always remember your first, whether it be the first girl you kissed or the first car you owned or, in this case, your first gun. For me, it was a Ruger Security Six .357 Magnum revolver with a 6" barrel (seen here most recently). I had my freshly minted Class A LTC, I was 23 years old, and it was time to guy my first handgun. I stopped into the gun store/range where I'd been shooting since I turned 18, bound and determined that something was coming home with me that day (sound familiar).

As I looked down the cases filled with 1911s, Glocks, and various Smith & Wesson revolvers, something about the Ruger called to me. Maybe it was the longer barrel - it just looked more serious, I guess; I can't really put my finger on it. I picked it up and the weight, while substantial, felt right in my hands; the gun pointing nearly perfectly for me. I bought it on the spot, and can't even begin to count the number of rounds I put through it. For many years it was the only wheelgun I'd bring to the range, a steady diet of reloaded .357 Magnum wadcutters at $6/box of 50 enough to keep me shooting.

Now I've got dozens of different handguns, with .357 Magnums ranging from the Snubbie from Hell™ to the Ruger to the monstrous Model 27. I've got polymer semi-autos, 1911s, mouseguns, and everything in between. But there's nothing as special as my Ruger Security Six - she was my first. Enjoy your first, Borepatch. She's a beauty, and I'm guessing she'll shoot even better than she looks - there's just something about a .22LR rifle. Borepatch has shot my one Winchester .22 - the 1906 - and even with > 100 years on her, pitted bore and all, she still groups inside a 1" circle at 50 feet on a good day (for me, that is).

Mighty fine pick-up, cowboy.

That is all.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where's the like button? I can't like this post enough. Congrats on your first, BP!
The first gun I bought after jumping through the hoops for a NJ FID was a Ruger 10/22. That wasn't my first gun though. :)

Anonymous said...

Wow. I guess I never truly realized how shitty you gun laws are in Mass.
To not be able to buy a flippin .22
unless you jump through how many hoops?

Nice post and congrats to BP.

My question is how the hell can anyone live in Mass!!!

I purchased the same model .22 years ago and still have it. It shoots everything and my boyz generally argue over who gets first at the range. Paid 60 bucks for it I do beleive!!

ViolentIndifference said...

Touching. *wipes eyes* I had some dust in my eye.

Jay G said...

Mopar,

Yeah, I was pretty excited when he sent me the e-mail last night telling me about it. There's just something magical about the first gun - and don't ever sell it, BP!

maddmedic,

At the very least, you must possess an FID card to own a firearm in MA. Those are shall issue - meaning that as long as you're not prohibited, you get the permit - but they are only good for shotguns and low-capacity semi-automatic rifles.

I'm not certain how tube-fed .22s are treated - I believe that are considered low capacity - but the fact remains that even to get the FID you need to spend $100 on the permit fee and $50 - $100 on the safety course. And it can take literally MONTHS to get the permit in hand...

VI,

Yeah, I heard the Battle Hymn of the Republic softly playing in the background as I read BP's post...

Robert said...

They had Glocks around when you were 23? Wow, you're yonger than I thought. ;)

libertyman said...

My first rifle I bought with my own money was a Marlin 39A -- I think it was 75 bucks. My first handgun was a 6 inch Colt Python (steady, Jay). The best part is, I still have 'em.

Atom Smasher said...

First? Ruger Blackhawk .357, 7 3/4" barrel. Love that gun.

Wally said...

First rifle was a thumbhole MAK-90, purchased it and took it home - on the bus! First handgun was a 1911 (.45 & .38 Super) shortly after my 21st birthday.

Skip said...

First was an 870, 30", full choke. Still have it. This was before you had to wait 10 days to pick it up, [Kali].
Bluing is almost gone, coupla dings on the furniture getting in and out of john boats, but when I bring her up to my shoulder..sweet!
Many firearms since. Never have sold or traded one.

Anonymous said...

I was 18 and working for Walgreens Drug Store when I purchased my first firearm. It was a beautiful 30-06 bolt action rifle with scope. Years went by and I gave the rifle to my brother who then sold it later on. I've now lost track of all the guns I've bought and sold. Safe is full and I'm wondering if I should buy another safe.