Thursday, January 20, 2011

Livin' On the Edge

OldNFO asks a simple question:
What's in your pocket, closet, night stand? Do you carry a car/truck knife? How many sets of Leatherman's or other Multitools do you have laying around (I have at least three)?
Well, let's see... First off, the night stand dwellers:

Fixed blades

No, these don't all live in my nightstand. I had to raid my auxiliary back-up nightstand for most of these (a.k.a. the chest of drawers in the attic). The Bowie and the imitation Ka-Bar live in the nightstand; the Rambo-esque knife on the left is a "traveling" blade; the remainder are knives I've picked up over the years as an aficionado of all things sharp and pointy.

Pocket knives:

Folding knives

There's an interesting mix here. Some of these knives are limited edition/numbered series/etc. knives done for GOAL or NES. Others are utilitarian pocket knives, inexpensive folders I picked up here and there to have in case someone needs a knife and I don't know if I'll get it back; others are EDC knives; still others hold sentimental value (like the two Swiss Army knives - one was the last SAK my grandfather carried; the other was my big Christmas gift from my grandparents when I was 10).

And... other:

Affix bayonets!

There's a Mosin-Nagant 91/30 tent stake bayonet; a cheap Chinese knock-off M7 and a USGI (I think) M10; and a ubiquitous Ka-Bar pistol bayonet from LaserLyte.



So what are your pointy stabbies?

That is all.

13 comments:

Butch Cassidy said...

Hey, I get to be lazy on my day off. Already pounded this out a while ago:

http://theruntcompound.wordpress.com/2010/12/08/you-can-never-have-too-many/

Stan said...

Nice D'k Tahg there.

ViolentIndifference said...

I only keep one stabby in my nightstand:

http://violentindifference.blogspot.com/2010/12/whats-your-favorite-knife.html

And a 5.11 knife in my 5.11 pocket. :-)

Bubblehead Les. said...

Well. I'm currently carrying a K-Bar K-2 pocket folder with me at all times, because it's cheap, dependable and works well with gloves. As for Edged Weapons, they run the gamut from a 1917 Butcher Blade Bayonet for a Gehwer 98, a Blackjack Fighter, a WW2 M-3 Fighter, and so many others that are dispersed in glove boxes, Emergency Kits, and the garage I really don't know what I have. I do know that I don't have a Machete, and there's one for sale at the Sportsmans Guide.....but as Agent Gibbs says on NCIS: "Rule 9, ALWAYS have a Knife".

Julie said...

jayg, for some reason i find that many knives in a night stand or two quite odd .....

Jay G said...

Um, in case you hadn't noticed, *I* am "quite odd"... ;)

ViolentIndifference said...

Jay sleeps on a bed of knives...

Mad Saint Jack said...

Wow Jay, is Cold Steel Banned MA?

http://www.coldsteel.com/warhammer.html

Old NFO said...

Damn... you've got me by a bunch... :-) I donated all my 'extra'/cheaper knives to the care packages going downrange the last seven years, so I'm down to the good stuff. Those are some nice bayonets, and of course you also have the rifles that fit ALL of them, I'm sure :-)

Brad_in_IL said...

Jay,

Have you been to the Holy Grail of Sharp Pointy thinkgs? I am of course referring to The Higgins Armory Museum - an BUILDING devoted to medival, sharp pointy things. Me thinks a trip to the Higgins Museum would make an excellent start to a Northeast Blogger outing.

Firehand said...

Yeek. Let me think... in the pocket is a CRKT Drifter. If you count the stuff in the case upstairs, and in the cabinet drawer, the dirks & such in the dresser, and the axes and the swords and...

I need a wide-angle lens if you want pictures.

Jay G said...

Firehand,

I've seen some of the stuff you make. Something tells me what you have puts everything I posted to shame...

Anonymous said...

Hi Jay,

Could you provide a knife knut some additional info. about your balisongs?

Thanks,

Joe_M