Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Interesting...

Robb laments the lack of ranges close by.

Well, at least ranges where he can practice drawing from a holster, like for the Dot Torture drill (which, BTW, I really should be practicing...). In the comments to the post, folks lament the lack of ranges available - which, as Chicago is showing, is a real limiting factor in becoming a responsible gun owner and properly exercising one's Second Amendment rights.

Limit the places where folks can shoot, it means many things:

1. They won't practice with their arms, meaning that they'll be less likely to use them;
2. They'll be a LOT less likely to bring new folks shooting if there are no places to shoot; and
3. With lack of practice comes lack of interest - I didn't shoot for five or six years after getting my permit because it was too much of a PITA to get to a range.

And it struck me as interesting. Here I am, in the Volksrepublik of Massachusetts, and I know of at least a half-dozen private ranges within a half hour drive - two are within 10 minute of my house. There's one public range about a half hour drive, and Sig Academy is less than 45 minutes from my house. America's oldest gun club is also a half-hour away. It's funny that here in the very heart of gun control land I have easily over a dozen options both public and private.

And even the sooper seekrit range that will be the site of the Fourth Annual Northeast Bloggershoot is about an hour away...

That is all.

10 comments:

Weer'd Beard said...

I think we need to grace "Americas Oldest Gun Club" this weekend.

Ya with me?

Jay G said...

I like that plan. I'm happy to be a part of it...

You thinkin' Saturday night at the range?

Brad_in_IL said...

Jay,

Interesting that you mention Chicago . . . The 7th circuit court just overturned the City of Chicago ban on gun ranges within city limits. I now wonder what kind of zoning or other restrictions will be imposed. John "More Guns, Less Crime" Lott had something on his page about the decision.

- Brad

Tim Covington said...

I have plenty of places to shoot, as long as I want to practice accuracy (at least 1 second between shots, standing still and no drawing from a holster). But, if I want to practice defensive drills, my choices are very few and very expensive. And, let's face it, standing there and shooting a paper target gets boring after awhile.

I'm not sure what can be done about it.

zeeke42 said...

Tim, if any of the places where you can only shoot slow are private clubs, run for the board on a platform of changing the rules.

Gun club politics is annoying, but depending on the club, it doesn't really take that many new active members to change things.

Tim Covington said...

The only private gun club in the area has a $5000 initiation fee and you must have another member sponsor you. That's just not going to happen.

To give you an idea, the closest places to shoot action pistol sports (cowboy, IDPA, etc.) are over 60 miles away.

Bubblehead Les. said...

Pistol ranges aren't too bad up here on the Northcoast, but try to get in some 100 yard+ Rifle time...

Weer'd Beard said...

Sounds good, Jay! Just let me know what time!

Mikael said...

Funnily, here in sweden with draconian gun control laws, I've got a 5 minute drive one way to a rifle range(two actually, side-by-side, one 100m with benchrests, next to an up to 1000m range with just markings every 100m, formerly military range for a shut down garrison, but was open to the public when not in use even back then, I've had army brass looking at me with binocculars while using it in my teens) and a 10 minute drive in the other direction to a pistol range, and another rifle range(hunting range, equiped with mobile targets)

bogie said...

You cheat - the Sig Academy is in NH. Still, you do have a bunch in MA - maybe because you can't shoot in your own backyard?