Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Don't Carry Around the House?

Yankeefried sends in a story that might make you re-think that policy...

Update: Man describes details of bear attack
Rich Moyer will tell you this himself - with his bandaged arms and legs, coupled with his hospital scrubs and his 6' 6" frame, he looks like he's wearing a Halloween costume. That is exactly what the woman at the grocery store checkout line assumed Monday afternoon. Moyer corrected her with a two word response that he said made her smile before she recoiled - "Bear attack."
...
Moyer told CBS 21 News that no sooner had he let the dog out, he heard it howling and running around the home. That's when he opened the patio door and called for the dog to come in. "She came in, right through the house. Right on her tail was the bear, right into the house," Moyer said.
Now, I don't mind telling you that I've run through more than a couple of home invasion scenarios in my own little version of "what would I do if..." None of them involve ursines. Most black bears run 250 - 350 pounds or so, and come equipped with claws and teeth unlike that which homo sapiens possess. Now, granted, the .380 ACP or .38 Special snubbie that I normally keep on hand for two-legged varmints won't much faze a black bear, but it beats going mano-a-oso with a critter twice my size.

Be careful out there in there, okay?

That is all.

3 comments:

Mike W. said...

Well that certainly makes me feel better about carrying the Dan Wesson around the apartment.

Veeshir said...

You know, sometimes dogs are the best things in the world, other times? They bring a freaking bear into the house and expect you to kill it.


One thing, that should be "mano a pata".

ASM826 said...

I doubt the .357s I've got would be enough, but I'd be giving it a try as I moved back toward something better