Thursday, October 6, 2011

This Was NOT Me...

Driver Angry Over ‘Lemon’ Charged With Trashing Car Dealership

PORTSMOUTH, NH (CBS) — David Cross says he bought a lemon from a Portsmouth car dealership.

He got so angry when Portsmouth Used Car Superstore wouldn’t take it back, he used it to ram seven other cars on the lot.

Now, first off, we don't condone the destruction of private property over alleged misdealings with used car conglomerations. We UNDERSTAND it, we just don't condone it...

Actually, this brings to mind an episode from my youth... Mom's car needed an oil change and some recall work done on the brakes (she had a Chevy Lumina, one of the most wretched balls of suck and fail to grace the American highway system in the 1990s). The dealership was an hour away (it was a friend of my dad's), and she asked me to bring the car up for service on my day off. I think I was 19 at the time.

After sitting at the dealership for over six hours, I started getting quite upset. They won't give me a rental car - because I'm under 25 - so I am literally stranded at this dealership with nothing to do, nothing to eat for six hours, and absolutely no idea when or if they will ever finish with the car. Well, they made one mistake. They had a policy of leaving the keys in the ignitions of all their used cars. So, I went from car to car, starting them up, and then revving the engines to redline. It got attention pretty darn quick, and they finished up mom's car just to get me out of there.

Here's the kicker - they forgot to put the oil drain plug back in the car, and when I got back to the house it was bone-dry...

That is all.

4 comments:

Rev. Paul said...

"they forgot to put the oil drain plug back in the car"

Did they "forget", or did they do it to get even with you for revving the other engines? Just wondering ...

Jay G said...

Given that they paid for a flatbed to come get it and a rental while they checked it out top-to-bottom, I suspect they just hurried to get it done as opposed to intentional...

Garrett Lee said...

The good thing is that engines will run for a surprisingly long time without oil. (Once they do seize, though, they're toast.) I remember hearing about a test where GM took a small-block motor straight off the assembly lines and hooked it up to a dyno with no oil and no cooling, and let it run at full throttle until it failed (rather spectacularly, supposedly). It took over two hours.

GM, prior to circa 2000, was a 'good' company. I mourn its following in Anakin Skywalker's footsteps.

Weer'd Beard said...

I would have let that piece of shit seize and let them buy you a car that wasn't a rotting turd in exchange for the scrap metal.

Let's just say I know a guy who intentionally seized a lemon's engine because he was sick of taking it back for covered repairs, only to have it break down again and arguing with the warranty people. Had a friend who was a Mechanic and they drained the pan, revved the motor a bit until they heard a "clickity-clicky-clack" and then put the oil back in and called the warranty people.

The replacement ran great.