Monday, October 17, 2011

Yes. I Know. Massachusetts Sucks...

Everyone and their brother has been sending me this story:

Fun takes a holiday in Somerville
A Somerville principal has opened fire on cherished American holidays, blasting legendary explorer Christopher Columbus for “atrocities” and saying “we need to be careful” about celebrating Thanksgiving in a scathing email to teachers — who are already under orders not to let the kids dress up for Halloween.
...
Mayor Joseph Curtatone said, “She raises a fair point. History is messy.” School Superintendent Tony Pierantozzi said her “intention is to be very, very sensitive to all of the many, many cultures” of Somerville. Foley said she just wanted to “open up a conversation.”
Right. I always open a conversation by calling the other side a committer of atrocities. That's the kind of meaningful dialogue the left likes to engage in. I wonder if Foley worked last Monday - smart money's on no - and if she's planning on being in the office on Thanksgiving day. $50 says she won't - whenever the Perpetually Offended class bitches and moans about some "intolerant" holiday, chances are pretty good they're not eschewing the PTO that comes with that holiday...

I'd be lying if I said this surprised me. This time of year always brings out the moonbats, between the folks that rail against Columbus as YADWEMWIHWOTPOIP* to the holy rollers who decry the satanism inherent in Halloween all the way through the militants who equate a manger on town property with being forced to worship in a Catholic Church at gunpoint. "It's freedom of religion, not from religion" needs to be made into a keyboard macro for this time of year.

And it won't get better until after mid-January, where we will be called racist for refusing to participate in the celebration of a misogynist philanderer - isn't a la carte revisionist history fun? 


That is all.


*Yet Another Dead White European Male Who Imposed His Will On The Poor Oppressed Indigenous Peoples

6 comments:

ASM826 said...

When people complained about the new holiday in January a few years ago, I used to say they had it all wrong. We needed to celebrate more things. There are individuals and groups yet unrecognized that I need to take days off for.

There's no national holiday to celebrate Native Americans, how about Sitting Bull's birthday? I'll trade Columbus Day, which I don't get off anyway.

Women? Half our population is women, and not a single day off to celebrate their contribution to society? We should take the first Friday in every month to honor them.

How the contributions of the major immigrant groups? Irish, Italian, German? A day for each, I say!

Just to show you how willing I am to compromise on this issue, I'd even be willing to take Ted Kennedy's birthday off. Make a list of liberal holidays, I'll stay home for all of them.

TheMinuteman said...

Jay, I think this might just make my quote of the day.

"It's freedom of religion, not from religion" needs to be made into a keyboard macro for this time of year.

I really wish people could figure that out. There's being an ass, and there is celebrating. Often they attack those celebrating as if they're being an ass.

I think I'm going to dress up all in black again this year with my AR and mall ninja thigh holster(only thing that will take my XD with the light on it).

Ross said...

(getting out his little rubber hammer) Hey, Jay? One little question about that manger on town property.

Should my tax money go towards the inevitable electric bill to light it up? Since I'm not Christian, and all.



My take on this, and feel free to be offended if you like, is that it should NOT. I don't care if you put a manger up or a Christmas tree - it's town property and you can do so if you like. But not ONE CENT of public funds should go towards it. Let a church or citizens group do it. Hell, let ANY town citizens erect it.

But THEY get to pay for it.

And that goes the same for a menorah, too. If I want to see one up on my town's property, I'll commit to paying for the electricity to light it.

Just my $0.02.

Mark said...

My favorite Columbus Day was in 1985 while I was in Jump School with the Army! We got a day off! Woo Hoo!!

Seriously, what's next? Veterans Day? Celebrating US soldiers and the imperialist American policy of traveling to strange, exotic lands, meeting new people, and KILLING them?

the band-aid bandit said...

And it won't get better until after mid-January, where we will be called racist for refusing to participate in the celebration of a misogynist philanderer - isn't a la carte revisionist history fun?



I beg to differ. It never "gets better". The dirty hippies just run out of weed and patchouli, and have to go begging to Dad/Mom/Uncle Sam (recently announced to have undergone an operation, and is now Aunt Samantha).

And even if it did do this mystical thing and get better, it wouldn't be until mid March.

The period between mid January and February 1, the beginning of the month that if we don't celebrate, we are all racists (I'll gladly take a month with pay, but then again, I know I'd only get it by paying out the nose in extra taxes and increased product costs to get it) is just the mandated nap time for the hippies.

Oddly enough, a high school English teacher (give you 3 guesses what city from near boston he commuted from, and what his "cultural identity" was) tried to get me suspended for submitting a paper that argued (In pretty logical terms IMHO) that if there were a "insert protected race here" month, then it would be racist to not have a "insert the race of people that have committed atrocities across history, so must now be at the bottom of every category and list" history month. Would've succeeded if I didn't have a level headed principal - might've helped that i threatened to sue for violating my civil rights (funny how quickly .govs type squirm when you say that)

Then we have the day in March where if you have even a speck of green on, you are accused of supporting drunk driving, being drunk in public, and random acts of violence.

Now everyone agrees that alcoholism is bad. I am of the mind that people should be able to put whatever or whoever into their own bodies, so long as they don't harm anyone else. And BEING OFFENDED DOES NOT F*%@ING COUNT!!! Though if someone were to cause harm after ingesting certain substances, then throw the proverbial book at them. And it looks like it will soon come time for random acts of violence should the liberal elitists actually be correct for once and the entire military sides with them in the seemingly looming second Revolution
-Bandit

the band-aid bandit said...

Speaking of throwing the book at them, it should be perfectly legal to chuck a hard cover, 2" steel bound book copy of the Constitution and Bill of Rights at someone when they start talking about how someone/something has offended them, so it must be banned