Thursday, November 24, 2011

And Speaking of Thanksgiving Traditions...

What are yours?

Here at the G. house, we'll be making the arduous trek over to Casa de Mom & Dad G. (all the way down the street) around 2 for our traditional Thanksgiving dinner. There will be turkey, of course; along with mashed potatoes (from scratch, of course), sweet potatoes, stuffing, and cranberry sauce. For one of the three days out of the year, I'll put the diet aside (I'm not missing out on mom G.'s homemade bread!) and enjoy myself, with the promise of getting back on the treadmill right after the holidays are over...

We take a moment and go around the table to list things we're all thankful for before we start the feast. It's cute to hear the kids answer "video games" on the list of things they're thankful for, but humbling as well - they're not answering "food" or "heat" or "a roof over our heads", but the disposable things in life. The basic necessities for survival are met, such that they don't have to think about it. That's something I'm thankful for, that I can provide for my kids and keep them happy and healthy.

It's hard to put into words how and why I'm happy for my online "family" as well; Mom and Dad G. are not internet people and have a hard time understanding how one can be friends with someone they've never met. Regardless, I'm thankful for the many friends I have online; for the folks I've had the pleasure of meeting in meatspace as well as the friends I will meet at a later date. I have not yet gotten together with anyone and come away disappointed. That's pretty amazing.

I'm also thankful for the dedicated men and women who are or have served in our Armed Forces. Many are spending these holidays away from their families; many in inhospitable climes and under conditions that would make the most hardcore outdoor enthusiast blanch. They're doing a largely thankless job, one made harder by the nitwits like Professor Avery who so cavalierly dismiss their sacrifice. I am thankful that there are rough men and women who stand guard so that we can remain free.

No matter what you're thankful for, take a moment to reflect today and give thanks for what's truly important.

That is all.

4 comments:

Tango said...

I'd consider you a friend! Happy Turkey Day. Glad your kids (and mine) don't have to fret thebig things in life, yet!

Ancient Woodsman said...

Hard to beat the coment you left over at Tam's - that was priceless. Thanks for MArooned - it's a good read.

May you & your family be blessed, and enjoy a truly great Thanksgiving.

Unknown said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Jay, and thanks for keeping us up to date with the news you scour the internet for.

Dave H said...

Happy Thanksgiving Jay, and to all your readers too. I know what you mean about having freinds online - I've been collecting them for a long time, but the one I'm most thankful for is my fiancee. (Yes, we have met in person by now. (grin))

What makes this possible is the internet lets us gather together by what we consider interesting or important, not by geographical closeness. As another friend (also met online) puts it, the network gives us a larger pool of people to create our "family of choice" from, so we're not limited to our "family of chance."

But I'm thankful for both!