Monday, January 2, 2012

Gearin' Up For SHOT...

So, after reading Unc's review of some popular packs and consultation with the guru himself, I ordered a new pack for hauling my stuff around the convention floor:

Murse!

That's a Maxpedition Malaga Gearslinger, which is a moderate-sized sling pack that's approximately between a messenger bag and a standard backpack in size. The small pack is an EDC Pocket Organizer, which is quite handy for storing all the little things you normally toss in accessory pockets and whatnot - pens, pocketknives, small tool kit, first aid supplies, etc. On order right now are some of the TacTies to connect the bags (and other accessories) and one of the 5" phone carriers. You can really spend quite a bit on these - but they're not like purses, nosirreebob...

I've been checking out the storage space in the bag, and while it's a medium sized bag, it's positively cavernous inside. I was able to get my Nikon inside the main area - in the case - with plenty of room left over. The Eee fits in the front pouch with accessories stored in other areas, or once I have the ties I can fasten the small netbook bag directly to the sling pack itself. There are tons of accessories available, more pouches, sheaths, organizers and hydration systems than you can imagine - I'm thinking of the notebook covers for notes on the go for one.

Gonna be a lot of stuff to carry at SHOT, so I'm getting ready!

That is all.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those are great bags.

ZerCool said...

I love my Maxpedition bag, but one word of caution:
Sling bags can give you a massive damn neck/shoulder ache.

Load that out with what you think you're going to carry around at SHOT and then go walk the mall for an hour or three.

At NRA, my daily carry stuff shrank in size and weight as the convention went on. Even without the pistol that's often in the bag (that was on the belt where it belongs), it gets heavy. Tablet. Water bottle. Camera. Leatherman. Knife. Pen and paper. Spare batteries. Advil. Small light. Etc, etc, etc.

Bubblehead Les. said...

I'd take out the Hydration Gear, and get an add-on Water Bottle Carrier. You'll be inside, and having a place to put your water bottle will come in handy when you take your photographs.

Of course, when you get back, you can repack it and turn it into a "Just in Case the SHTF and you're out at the Post Office" Bag. I'll send you a picture of mine to give you an example.

Old NFO said...

Zer beat me to it... Weight IS a issue after 6-8 hours.