Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Notes from the Floor, Part One...

As I mentioned briefly before, SHOT Show is a lot bigger than I had originally anticipated. One of the smaller rooms is about the same size as the main room at the NRA convention - and there are two whole floors of rooms. I've been here for four hours and only covered one room. Yikes.

Had my first "bloggers aren't press" experience at one booth. I asked if I could take a picture of one of the items, and the person working the booth asked if I was Press. I replied "Yes, I'm internet media" and the response was distinct that "oh, bloggers aren't press." Out of all the booths I visited this morning, that was the only place that even vaguely questioned the "Internet" vs. "Press" credentials. I think I'll live...

What's also interesting, and by "interesting" I of course mean depressing, is just how few items are actually made here in the United States. Pretty much all of the clothing available as well as most of the optics are outsourced; a telling indictment of how hard it is to find true "Made in the USA" items. Another interesting note is that many companies are still located in "freedom-averse" states like CA or NY - but not a single one from Massachusetts (no, I haven't hit the S&W or Kahr booths yet...

Lots and lots of pictures taken - despite the dire warnings, I haven't come across a company yet that wasn't very responsive to pictures. It's interesting to see the difference between small and large companies - in several cases I was talking to the company owner, usually the person that started the company. In larger outfits, I was talking with folks that seemed to have little interest in talking to folks about their products, and that's pretty disappointing.

(Yes, I am refraining from naming names for the moment. Don't want to condemn based on a single interaction...)

Shorter Jay post: OMG! OMG! OMG!

That is all.

14 comments:

Mopar said...

I dunno, I'd kinda like to know who it was, I bet others would too. As you can see by the size of the show, there are plenty of vendors out there. I generally have plenty of choices of who's products I want to spend my cash on. Perhaps after this thread gets a ton of the type of relies I expect it will, you can at least point a CEO or some higher up to it and show him the power of the "fake" media.

Signed - the guy who sits on the executive board of the largest state level gun rights organization in his state.

Johnnyreb™ said...

(Grumbling)I hope you recorded the name from said nameless floor gnomes name tag ...

Borepatch said...

Name and shame, Jay. Name and shame.

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

Yes, you gotta learn em somehow. They don't want people that use the internet to buy their product, might as well oblige them. Luckily for them, not a lot of people use the internet.

B said...

You should give the name, and also find an email for him/her/them. Post them. After the mail server crashes, return and ask him what he/she/they think.....

Carteach said...

I'd like to know who treated you well, and looked down their nose. I think it directly relates to how they will treat customers.

I also think it should directly relate to their sales.

Anonymous said...

Next time ask if you can quote them.
Corporate Communications Director will love to see that on the blogosphere.

Gerry

wizardpc said...

Yeah I'm with Carteach. If they're going to treat someone who has a potentially large audience with disdain, how are they going to treat the single customer with no voice?

Fred said...

Well, if all else fails, release the company's name AND said employee's name... see how that goes.

PT said...

Name and shame...name and shame...

Jim said...

Name and shame, and do so for the remainder of your time there at the show.

That said, do not fail to name and praise, whenever possible!


Jim
Sunk New Dawn
Galveston, TX

Robert said...

That's why I bought Eotech. Made in USA.

Davidwhitewolf said...

Hmm. In three years at SHOT, not once did I get that attitude. And my press tag very clearly read "Random Nuclear Strikes Weblog," which is about as obviously not the name of a mainstream publication as you can get.

Absolutely you should name the vendor.

Anonymous said...

"oh, bloggers aren't press." He's right about that one. This same mentality is why SOPA/PIPA stands to pass. BLATANT SHAME for them not understanding the internet.

Name and Shame works, BUT this is JayG's first appearance. Do appreciate him and the fine work he is doing and I do want him invited back, so I side with him on not naming a big name as who knows how these people who cannot understand the internet will react.

TB