Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Rules For Thee, Not For Me...

Well, I have to tip my hat to MA Lt. Gov. Murray. Earlier, I had questioned the MA State Police's decision to withhold the black box information from the state-issued Crown Vic that Murray wrecked last November. Well, Murray requested that they release the findings:

Lt. Gov Murray Asleep At Wheel, No Seat Belt, 108 MPH Before Crash

BOSTON (CBS) – Lieutenant Governor Tim Murray was apparently asleep at the wheel, going more than 100 miles an hour when he crashed his car on I-190 in Sterling last year.

According to data from the black box in Murray’s totaled unmarked cruiser released Tuesday, he was driving 85 miles per hour before sunrise Nov. 2 when the car started picking up speed.

Gotta love that. No seat belt and speeds nearing double the speed limit. Even accepting the claim that the car magically picked up speed after Murray fell asleep, he was still traveling far in excess of the speed limit (85 in a 65 is enough to get you arrested in NH. Ask me how I know...).

Isn't it interesting that the most ardent nanny-staters turn into such staunch libertarians in the privacy of their own homes their state-issued vehicles...

That is all.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember somebody else being stupid.

"Gov. Corzine wasn’t wearing a seatbelt the night of the accident, and the latest news today is that the vehicle was going 91 MPH in a 65 MPH zone when it crashed." AP

Jersey and Mass drivers, who would have thought?

Gerry

ps Our former Gov only flew through restricted air space in the state plane.

Sideburns said...

I know full well just how easy it is to drive too fast in a crown vic. I'm just glad mine had a limiter at 104...

JohnOC said...

I don't find it at all implausible that the car sped up when he fell asleep. I've had that happen a time or two when I kept driving instead of pulling off to take a nap. Thankfully I always woke up before getting too much faster or out of the lane.

Dave H said...

If the guy was going to take a nap, he should have set the cruise control. That's what it's there for!

Old NFO said...

Lucky he's alive... sigh...

Skip said...

Glad he didn't take out a family of five.