Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Surprising!

Tim Thomas Skips White House Ceremony

BOSTON (CBS) – Bruins goalie Tim Thomas declined to attend the team’s Stanley Cup celebration with President Barack Obama at the White House on Monday.

Thomas, who is known to support the Tea Party, told Bruins General Manager Peter
Chiarelli months ago that he would not attend the event due to his political differences from the Obama administration.


I'm guessing Thomas is getting close to retiring, because a move like this is what we like to call "career-limiting". It's a lot like Curt Schilling showing right-leaning tendencies; despite being the local sports hero for their particular game, politics is personal and personal is politics here in Massachusetts. Thomas can expect a cool reaction from the fans - this is a state that voted nearly 2/3rds for Obama in 2008. The statement from the Bruins organization doesn't seem terrifically enthusiastic about Thomas's decision, either.

Here's what Thomas had to say on his Facebook page:

I believe the Federal government has grown out of control, threatening the Rights, Liberties, and Property of the People.This is being done at the Executive, Legislative, and Judicial level. This is in direct opposition to the Constitution and the Founding Fathers vision for the Federal government.

Because I believe this, today I exercised my right as a Free Citizen, and did not visit the White House. This was not about politics or party, as in my opinion both parties are responsible for the situation we are in as a country. This was about a choice I had to make as an INDIVIDUAL. This is the only public statement I will be making on this topic. TT

Amen, Tim, Amen. Now can I convince you to run against Scott Brown?

That is all.

5 comments:

Lissa said...

Maybe he feels he's still got enough goodwill to last him through a political statement or two?

Dave H said...

Before I heard the whole story I thought Thomas declined the White House visit out of partisanship, but I see I was wrong. A nod of respect to him.

gator said...

Now, if we only had some legislators with enough, uh... courage, to opt out of tonight's SOTU and call it for what it is: a high-security risk dog-and-pony show.

Cormac said...

Wow...my favorite goalie.

Now I like him even more.

Stretch said...

I rather like the idea of being in a room with Teh One and a hockey stick.