Monday, April 18, 2016

Triple "S"...

The dreaded "Special Snowflake Syndrome." I don't know if I'm just noticing it more lately or if things are changing, but the number of people I see out in public completely and utterly unaware that there are other humans in their little life's play seems to be growing.

Like this douchebag:


He's not in a parking space. That's the entry way to the local warehouse store. Because people often buy large, heavy items like furniture and appliances, the "curb" isn't - so jackass parked there. There are parking spaces galore, but none were apparently close enough for Senor Jackass, so up on the curb he goes.

Of course, this same area is frequently a site for other SSS's. I see people who pull up, leaving their running automobile directly in the travel lane while they load their purchases into it. It is not uncommon to see vehicles half-out into the main travel lane, either; it's like they just randomly decide "Oh, here's a good place to stop" because in their minds, there are no other humans on the planet.

The worst, in my opinion, are the ones that will sit in a running car right next to an empty parking space while someone else runs into the store for a quick errand. There's nothing as exciting as moving around one of these mouthbreathers only to find one of their kindred spirit blithely backing out of a parking space without even so much as a cursory glance. Ah, excitement.


And yet people think we'll have "self-driving" cars any time in our lifetimes. Um, no. Unless the government takes a very active role in getting "human driving" cars off the road, it ain't gonna happen. All it's going to take is one erratic human to screw up an entire line of self-driving cars to cause all sorts of mischief and mayhem.

I think Mencken said it best: "No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public"...

That is all.

7 comments:

Ruth said...

Nope, happens ALL THE TIME. We had a big sale this past weekend at the store I work for. I counted at least 4 "owner of vehicle XYZ you're parked illegally, come move your car" announcements.

Ted said...

A few weeks ago the person in the travel lane infront of CVS got out of her SUV - left the engine running and the drivers door open while she ran in CVS for something.

So I closed the door ( which was now blocking the other lane ) and used the central locking to helpfully lock her car for her and continued on my way

KD said...

I was driving in Boston (I know, first mistake, right?) yesterday when right in front of me, approaching the eastern end of the Congress Street bridge, some ***** in a wrangler stopped, blocking half the lane, left it running, got out and walked across the street to Starbucks. I had to wait a minute for the "Did that really just happen?" dissonance to pass before continuing on.

doubletrouble said...

Heh. I thought the 'triple S' was when you're heading out: $h17, shower, & shave.

ProudHillbilly said...

I think I love you...

Jay G said...

doubletrouble, I thought of that (as well as the other "3S's" of Shoot, Shovel, and Shut Up) after I posted it...

B said...

I find a Schrader valve core removal tool works well. Carry one in every car.

http://www.amazon.com/Motion-Pro-08-0183-Valve-Remover/dp/B001KO84I0/ref=sr_1_sc_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1461034428&sr=8-5-spell&keywords=scrader+valve+tool

Just gently loosen the valve stem and continue on your way. Only takes moments to do your civic duty.

Yes, I've been caught, no it isn't vandalism nor destruction of property. (As adjudicated in Indiana, at least). (YMMV)

Generally, these assholes can't change a tire either. But they are at least as inconvenienced as the others they affect with their uncaring actions.

Just sayin'.