Thursday, August 23, 2007

Baby Vulcan Wish List...

Got to thinking the other day (always a frightening proposition, I know). What boomsticks do I want to get in the near- to not-too-distant future?

I started by leafing through the many circulars from the pushers various and sundry gun warehouses I've bought from in the past.

Handguns:

CZ-82
CZ-70
Nagant Revolver

These three are C&R eligible, which means they can be shipped directly to my door in direct defiance of the Attorney General's "Approved Firearms Roster" (AFR) {spit}, which naturally makes them more appealing. It's also why the CZ-52 was the first firearm I purchased with my C&R license (the CZ-52 is doubly appealing as the 7.62X25mm round can defeat some body armor, making it one of the "armor-piercing" guns the gun-grabbers are always wailing about).

Compact 1911 - ideally S&W scandium-framed SW1911

I want a small, light, 1911-based .45 ACP for concealed carry. Since I live in the accursed Sheeple's Republik of MA and have to contend with the dreaded aforementioned AFR, goodies like Kimber Custom Carry and Springfield EMP are out of the running.

When I visited the S&W plant in April, the gentleman giving the tour alluded to S&W coming out with a smaller version of their SW1911. I'd guess that it would be an Officer's Model-sized gun. Since the Commander sized SW1911 with the scandium frame only weighs 29 ounces, I would wager that the Officer's Model size would be down around 22-24 ounces.

S&W model 642

Because one can never have too many j-frames or pocket guns...

Colt 1908
Colt 1903

Just gotta have these two to "complete" (ha!) my Colt semi-auto C&R fetish collection...




Shotguns:

Saiga 12

If for no other reason than the PSH that an AK-47 based shotgun entails...

Rem 870 12 gauge

While I like my Win1300, there's more aftermarket parts for the Remington out there. Plus I want one of each major manufacturer's pump-action shotgun...

Baikal 12 gauge side-by-side

Someday I'd like to get into Cowboy action shooting, and these guns (with the exposed hammers, of course) are just plain sweeeeet.

Mossberg 500 20 gauge (youth)

I'll need something for the kids to learn on.

Mossberg 590 12 gauge

Just because everyone needs at least one shotgun with a bayonet...

Lever-action 12 gauge (Winchester 1887 repro)

Yeah, I watched Terminator 2 too many times...



Centerfire Rifles:

Rem 700

In, what else, the very manly 30-06 chambering. Bonus points for eeeevil "sniper rifle" configuration (all black, bipod, etc.)

M1 Garand

Yes, to my eternal shame I do not (yet) own an M1 Garand. I'm workin' on it...

M1 Carbine

I'm thinking of one of the CMP Inlands. Maybe even pony up the dough for an Underwood.

AR-15 variant

I have neither an M1 Garand nor an AR-15. I do have an AK-47 clone, unfortunately it's not currently working...

German mauser

I have a Turkish mauser, but would like something like a K98 in good condition to round out the mauser family.

Mosin M44

If for no other reason than the fireball... That and it's C&R eligible and costs less than $100. This will be the very first gun I order if Cadillac Deval gets his "one gun a month" passed...

Another SKS

Maybe 2. There are rumors that the supply is going to start drying up. I'd like to get at least one to leave in the cosmo and another to play with...

Dragunov

There's just something about a semi-auto in the manly 7.62X54mmR cartridge...

Winchester or Marlin lever-action .357 Magnum

I love my Marlin 336, but with ammo prices rising ever higher I can't afford to target shoot with the .30-30. I'd like something I can feed the cheap(er) .38 special... Plus it makes a fine companion to the Model 19.



Rimfire rifles:

Ruger 10/22

Okay. I don't have an M1 Garand. Or an AR-15. Or even a stinkin' 10/22. What am I, some sort of pinko commie?

Henry lever action

I just loves me a lever action rifle. Bonus points for being chambered in the economical .22LR

CZ-452 or other high(er) quality bolt-action

Eventually I'd like to move beyond simple plinking with my .22s...



So that's my list as it stands right at this second. I have a feeling that 5.7 microseconds after I hit "Publish Post" I'm going to think of 17 other guns I should have added (and reserve the right to edit this list accordingly).

I'm also sure that there are many fine guns not on my list that should be.

So let's hear 'em!


8 comments:

JD said...

Sorry to hear about the AK variant. . . I love to shoot mine.

Food for thought. . . with the current political climate and the election coming I am saving up for the AR-15 since I think if the Dems get in they will push to make them illegal again on us. . .

So many guns, so little money. . =)

Mr Weebles said...

I agree with JD. Even if you don't have the funds for a complete AR, go ahead and pick up a complete lower or two. My guy in NH sells the complete Stag Arms lower for $190.

The 10/22 and 870 are good choices too. They are both easy to customize and I just turned my 870 from a deer gun into a home defense piece. Details here: http://mrweebles.blogspot.com/2007/08/rebirth-of-sluggo.html#links

Sigivald said...

No Swedish Mauser?

I have both a 10/22 and an 870, and you won't be going wrong with either.

Jay G said...

jd,

The AK will eventually be fixed; it's nothing terribly difficult. I'm just lazy/pressed for time is all. When I *do* have "free" time that I can devote to shooting, I want to actually *be* shooting, not futzing around trying to fix something.

It's kinda why I don't drive British cars... ;)

And yeah, I've been thinking about getting the AR sooner rather than later with the current political climate. A lot will depend on next year's election, too... When Hillary! assumes her role as dictator-for-eight-years, the gun grabbing moonbats may decide that the time is right for HR 1022...

Mr. Weebles,

We'll see what happens next year; I may be looking for a lower shortly depending on events...

The real beauty of the 10/22 and the 870 is that either are cheap investments (at least initially) - a new 10/22 is under $200, and not much more for the Remington.

And that looks very much like what I'd like to do to an 870...

sigivald,

I want an actual German mauser first. Nowhere on the list did I state that it was all-inclusive or exclusive. :)

The only problem I have with getting the 10/22 is that I already own like 6 or 7 .22LR rifles. Getting another one past the review board (Mrs. G.) is going to involve expensive shoes or a new handbag, I can just tell...

;)

aughtSix said...

You don't have a Garand? That is shameful. Heck, I managed to reduce my (no longer) eternal shame by obtaining an SKS and a Ted Williams .30-30. (A version of the '94 sold by Sears) So I've now got something in 7.62x39 and a lever gun. But no Garand... geez. What kind of gun-nut are you? :)

And you won't be disappointed with a CZ-452. I just bought a second one a few weeks ago. It was the first one I'd ever seen for sale used. So I bought it.

Anonymous said...

My STAR -PD's, while not the smallest of .45's are certainly two of the lightest.

SpeakerTweaker said...

Dude, seriously. You need a Beretta on there somewhere. If nothing else, a 92FS (or variant) Inox (That is, if your communist government allows 15 round wundernines. If not, there's plenty of room for you and your uber-capacity boomsticks in Texas!).

Also, Browning Hi-Power (I'm STILL trying like hell to get one, but The Wifey really wants a Baby Eagle Compact, and it's her turn (dammit!). Oh, well. I DO have a gunnie wife. I shouldn't complain).

Unless, of course, with your discriminating tastes, you've already got one.

;)



tweaker

dr mac said...

I just enjoyed reading the post and the reasons for your selections. Sometimes my selections have been made on totally logical considerations eg a Browning in 30.06 just because I liked the variety in ammo selection and not because I could have selected a elk rifle that gave me 25-50 yds extra trajectory, the 1/3 less "kick" than a 300 Mag also played into the decision being not of the masochistic type and wanting to raise my arm higher than my shoulder after a day at the range.
Then, the romantic considerations played a part, thus the .30-.30 in Winchester lever action, how could you pass up a gun that won the West ?

Ah, what fun.