Saturday, May 10, 2008

Chip Off The Ol' Cup...

Couldn't resist sharing this one...

So I'm watching my son's baseball game, and he's the catcher this inning. It's really cute seeing him all swaddled in full catcher regalia: Face mask, chest protector, knee pads, etc.

One of the "pitches" (it's AA Little League - the coach of the team that's up batting does the pitching) came in a little low and hit him, well, below the belt. Fortunately, the chest protector is cut low for just such a situation, so he was unhurt.

He turns, looks into the bleachers at me, and yells (at the top of his lungs)
"Good thing I was wearing my cup, dad!"


It took me a full two minutes to stop laughing...

(Back story: The first time he wore his cup to practice, he HATED it. It didn't fit right. It chafed him. It made him look funny. Yadda yadda yadda. I tried to impress upon him just how important it was to wear the cup, and we finally hit on a compromise - it involves multiple layers of undergarments; it's best not to ask...)

That is all.

6 comments:

Bonnie said...

Nice!

Anonymous said...

I see that just talkin' about it wasn't enough. Thx again for the range trip. Plse be sure to extend my thanks also to Mrs. G., and wish her a Happy Mothers' Day.

- Brad

dr mac said...

As a catcher in years of old I can attest to prophlaxis against getting your bell rung.

RW said...

A. Our world keeps getting smaller; Jared is also a catcher.

B. Here he is getting another hit. Notice the Rickey Henderson bat flip that his daddy taught him & the quick exit from the batters' box. He's been on a tear of late: 11 for his last 15.

If only I had known how much fun it was to be a dad, I'd have done it a looooot sooner. 'course, we'd be on welfare & eating gov't cheese....:)

Anonymous said...

You should show him the pictures of our anti-terror teams training in full gear. We use painball markers and wear our cups over our utility pants.

It makes for great group photos!

DoubleTapper
DoubleTapper@gmail.com
DoubleTapper, blogging on Guns Politics Defense from Israel

knitalot3 said...

Okay, LOL!!! People are staring at me.