Friday, June 13, 2008

Gun Pr0n #63

AAAUUUGGGHHH!!!

As I started to post todays gun pr0n, it dawned on me that the firearm I had chosen was numerically suited for a different day not too far off (that's a hint).

Being the numbers geek that I am, I had to scramble to find a replacement picture. Continuing last week's tradition of posting me shooting guns I don't own, here's today's gun pr0n:


That’s a MacMillan Tac50 50 BMG bolt action rifle with 5 shot box. The scope on it alone costs more than any two guns I own.

Shooting the .50 BMG is an experience unlike any other I've had in the gunnie world. Some rounds, like the .40 S&W, are "snappy", meaning that they cause the gun to jump out of your hand. Others, like the .45 ACP, are more of a "pushy" nature, meaning that they exert significant force against your body during recoil.

The .50 BMG is both snappy *and* pushy. Even with the ginormous muzzle brake, it lets you know this ain't no sippin' tea. This is a serious rifle for serious business (and priced accordingly; the cheapest I've seen any .50 BMG single-shot rifle is around $2K, with magazine-fed bolt-action rifles fetching ~ $5K and semi-automatics like the Barrett M82 going for 8 large. Not to mention the ammo's running between $3-$4 a round...)

The most impressive part, though, comes not from shooting the .50 BMG but by being near one when it touches off. It's a shock wave that extends a good 10 feet around the rifle, and if you're not ready for it, you start wondering if perhaps something went wrong. Until the next shot, that is...

And pants-shitting hysteria aside, no airplanes were shot down in the photographing of today's picture...

That is all.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now that looks like fun. And one round is cheaper than a gallon of gas! I guess that means it's technically cheap to shoot, too!

the pistolero said...

Fun, indeed. from what I've read about the Barrett, with its muzzle brake the recoil isn't any worse than a 12-gauge shotgun. But then a 12-gauge IS pretty hard-hitting...