Friday, April 3, 2009

Friday Fun Thread: Rice Rockets...

Today's fun thread is going to appeal to certain people a bit more than others, but hey, we're all about diversity here at MArooned. Today's Top Ten list is going to center on the sports cars to come out of Tokyo, the Japanese contribution to the "I Can't Drive 55" crowd. There's significantly fewer offerings than among the American or European automotive world, so it should be an interesting list.

Here goes!

1. Acura NSX. Hey, it was the car driven by "The Wolf". Honda Motor Corporation's first attempt at a world class supercar wasn't a bad effort at all; the NSX was powered by a 270HP 3.0L V6 engine that propelled the light car to 60 MPH in just over 5 seconds flat.

2. Mitsubishi 3000GT. Okay, this one makes it high on the list for personal reasons - this is my favorite car on "Need for Speed 2" on the PlayStation. Along with it's twin, the Dodge Stealth, the 3000GT (in VR-4 trim) was powered by a 296 HP twin-turbocharged V6.

3. Toyota Supra. From 1979 until 2002, Toyota offered a rear-wheel drive honest-to-goodness sports car in its lineup. The Supra started life as variation on the Celica, but spun off in 1986 when the Celica was switched over to front-wheel drive. Engines varied widely on the Supra, from a 110 HP I4 to a turbocharged 280 HP inline 6 cylinder.

4. Datsun 240Z. Gotta give props to the car that started it all. The first Z, it was the first Japanese sports car imported to the US in 1969, at a time when 450 horsepower V8-driven American muscle cars ruled the streets. Gotta give Datsun credit for daring to cut into that market with a teeny little two seater...

5. Subaru SVX. The windows are the most prominent design feature of the SVX, a bizarre "window-within-a-window" look that was rumored to be based on a fighter jet canopy. Performance of the SVX was disappointing, providing a slower 0-60 time than a standard issue Mustang GT (which sold for about half what the SVX did - and that was at a loss to Subaru!).

6. Nissan Skyline GT-R. Although it was never imported into the US, the Skyline GT-R deserves to make the list on its turbocharged inline 6 cylinder engine and 6-speed transmission capable of a top speed somewhere north of 180 MPH.

7. Toyota MR2. Yeah, it's small. Yeah, the introductory model was shaped suspiciously like a door wedge. But this teeny mid-engined two seater had a 242 horsepower turbocharged engine wedged behind the driver and passenger seats. For a car that weighed a little over a ton, that's a killer power-to-weight ratio.

8. Subaru WRX STi. The only sedan to make the list, the STi makes the list for having an engine variant that produces upwards of 316 HP. And they offered it as a wagon, too. That takes guts... No list would be complete without a grocery-getter that can humble a Camaro...

9. Mazda RX-7. A 1.3L Wankel rotary engine powered sports car. Oh yeah, this has gotta make the list... The last version of the RX-7 had an optional turbocharger that brought the engine output to 270+ HP. The rotary engine was so smooth that a buzzer had to be added to the tachometer at 7,000 RPMs...

10. Honda S2000. Naturally aspirated inline four cylinder engine putting out 247 horses? And the badge on the front is an "H", not a Lotus? Honda's first rear-drive roadster since the 1960s was intially overpriced, but offered performance not typically associated with the normal offerings from Big Blue.




So there's my list of favorite Japanese sports cars. I'm certain that there's a bunch I've overlooked, generally pulling from my own admittedly limited knowledge of the riceburner scene in general.

What else should have gone on the list?

That is all.

13 comments:

Home on the Range said...

OK. . it's not a car, but my all time well remembered scare the wadding out of you in ice airplane. . the Mitsubishi MU-2B

Ross said...

Ever see a Chevy 283 shoehorned into a Datsun 240Z? I have...

Instead of the RX-7, you should have included the RX-2 - Mazda's FIRST Wankel-engined car. I had a '73 (third model year) two-door sedan. Looked kind of like a Datsun B210. Definitely a sleeper, it had a 110HP motor and weighed 1800 lbs. Lord, did that thing fly... got it up to 120 on the Jersey Turnpike before I ran out of room (traffic). But there was a LOT of room still under my foot and the car was just saying "Faster! Let's go FASTER!!!"

I loved that car. Got it when it was about 10 years old, and let me tell you... Glen's Foreign Car Parts LOVED to see me coming through the door, 'cause they KNEW that they were about to get rid of something that had been sitting in their basement stockroom for 10 years. I knew every junkyard for 25 miles around with an RX2 in it. Got a "new" driver's door (instead of replacing the window crank - it was the same cost to redo the whole door!!), "new" front right strut and I forget what else.

Two rotors, four spark plugs, two distributors and THREE sets of points (the second set was on the trailing plugs, I think, and only came into play if the car was over a certain RPM and below a certain temp or something like that. It was weird... I lived and died by my Clymer manual on that car!). Working on it was fun, actually... and I did a lot of it.

Anonymous said...

The SVX has to be one of (if not THE) UGLIEST cars ever mass produced... Just looking at one makes me look for the waste basket!

Mikael said...

Instead of the 3000GT, I expected the GTO 4x4. ;)

On a less rockety note though, the "86" is legendary in japanese mountain pass racing, this despite a relatively weak engine, and it's not really flashy either... was made by 3 companies, and Levin, Toyota and I forget the third one... anyway, they all had the same basic build, which was awesomely balanced.

One of the best drifting cars of all time. There was even a racing variant of it(with a high rev engine), though not really publically available.

Sara said...

Minus one subaru SVX (ew!!!), ad one Mitsubishi Lancer EVO. Happiness.

Jay G said...

Brigid,

Pretty much *all* planes "scare the wadding out of" me, so that's not saying much... :)

Ross,

Notice?!?!?! Not one but *TWO* 'Rus on the list! Was thinking of you on this one, buddy.

The RX-7 gets the nod on *my* list because it was the econo-sports car for my set growing up - much like the Rabbit GTI. I knew at least three different people who owned RX-7s.

As for shoe-horning engines, well...

Buddy of mine is a master mechanic for Ford. Rebuilds classic cars and builds hot rods in his spare time.

He's told me about Chevettes with Grand National engines; Chevy S-10 pickups with big block 454 V8s; MGBs with small block 350 V8s...

But the craziest of all comes from a buddy in FLA. He had a Suzuki Samarai, and at the local Suz dealer there was a Samarai with a 6" lift kit, 33" tires, and a Chevy 350 under the hood...

Anon,

Oh, there's plenty out there uglier than the SVX, IMHO. Look no further than the Nissan Pulsar, f'rinstance... ;)

Mikael,

The GTO could never make the list. There is only ONE GTO: the 1969 Pontiac GTO judge.

Sara,

Lancer EVO's a good choice, too. Had the list gone up to 11 it would have made it...


Alllll

Elizabeth said...

Oh man, I've got a serious soft spot for Subarus. If I were going to get a car for sports handling, I'd be really tempted by the WRX wagon. practical, and supposedly super *fun* to drive.

But I like my Forester better :P

Then again, I am the girl with the super soft-spot for volvo 240 wagons. Um yeah. :)

the pistolero said...

I'd say that looks like a plenty comprehensive list. Fun fact about the Acura NSX: it was sold under the Acura nameplate here in the States so as to command the higher price than it would have gotten had it been sold under the Honda nameplate. Either way it was bad-ass, though.

Wally said...

I guess "donor" is as close as my cars will get to being on your friday lists.

3000GT - turbo donor to the X1/9. Made a nice improvement in perforOHMYFREAKINGWORDmance.

Ross said...

I saw the 'Rus, Jay.

Had a coworker who had an SVX - I thought it was pretty comfortable AND it had some healthy pickup.

As for the Rexy... I WANT. It's like my beloved RX-2 reincarnated in AWD. If only my ass weren't too wide for the seats... :-( At least, it was back in '02 when I first looked at it. The buckets were pretty narrow. Then there's the whole "wife can't drive a stick" thing. :-( And it's not a matter of teaching her, it's a matter of health - serious ankle injury many years ago, to the point where all the docs say "Thou shalt NOT drive a stick... EVER. Unless you like wheelchairs."

Brad_in_MA said...

Jay,

You *could* include certain models of the Lotus Elise in your list . . . sure the chassis was British but some models sported a Toyota powertrain -- nimble as hell, weighs about 2,000# and sports a 200+ HP motor.

Brigid,

I'm a bit of an airplane geek but do not have a pilots license. The MU-2B you cite sports a wing loading of over 50# per square foot !!! That's just NUTS. No wonder it scared the wadding out of you.

If you're familiar w/ the WW2 bird B-26 Maurauder, it sported a wing loading of more than 53# per square foot. Plane was built by Martin, based in Baltimore, and got nicknamed The Baltimore Whore -- it had wings so small they provided no visible means of support. Training squadrons were based at McDill field in Tampa FL. After 15 crashed in a 30-day period, trainee pilots shouted Once a Day in Tampa Bay !!!

Anonymous said...

I was never much of a rice rocket fan, but I'll tell ya what, I had a friend with a japanese Rx7 Savannah he brought back from when he was stationed in the pacific. That was an ass-kickin' car!
Right hand drive and if I remember right a 6 speed trans. It would hit 55mph in first gear. The right hand drive part was lots of fun. Drive around with me in theleft/passenger seat with my hands behind my head would freak people out, heheh.

Old NFO said...

You missed one of the classic race cars... The Datsun 510- It was a poor man's BMW in the 60's and a perennial race winner then and now in SCCA.