Sunday, April 19, 2009

Range Day...

Finally getting to the range for some shooting time this afternoon. As I mentioned, I'm bringing two new shooters with me today, as well as meeting a friend for some long-overdue shootie goodness. Since it's been a while since I've gotten out (the March bloggershoot was the last time I put lead downrange, oh, the shame!), the list of ordnance is rather long:

Smith & Wesson Model 17 .22LR
Smith & Wesson Model 422 .22LR
Ruger Security Six .38 special/.357 Magnum
(The standard fare for new shooters)

Browning Hi-Power 9mm - maiden voyage.
(Normally the Sig P226 would fit in here for the first centerfire auto, but since the Browning needs to come out and play anyways...) *g*

Colt Gold Cup National Match 1911 .45 ACP (just in case)
CZ-52 7.62X25mm (special request from my buddy)

Mystery acquisition from yesterday. Guesses are welcome, although I doubt anyone (who I haven't told already - quiet Heath!) will guess... ;)

Remington 572 pump-action .22LR rifle. Because nothing says fun quite like breaking orange clays on the 25 yard berm with a light .22LR rifle...

It's gonna be a good day, indeed...

That is all.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jay, what are you feeding that CZ52? I've been having issues with the surplus 7.62x25 splitting necks. Seems to be a common problem.

Jay G said...

I'm running S&B commercial ammo for now. Finding surplus is a pain, as very few companies will ship to MA because of our insane laws.

Besides (Jay says as he hangs his head in shame), I've only shot it once in the 3 years I've had it...

Anonymous said...

3yrs? SHAME ON YOU! (as I think there are probably a few guns in our safe that havent seen action in that long)
Well, even with the S&B the CZ52 should impress the new shooters with it's roar. I've been shooting that too, but now I have a whole lot of surplus ammo I need to hand inspect every round before I use it.

Borepatch said...

Range Day! Range Day! Excellent!

Michael in CT said...

The CZ-52 is always a lot of fun, loud crack, decent muzzle flash and people 30 feet behind you swearing at you as they duck the empty cases. All that with not a lot of recoil.
For you Cz-52 owners, if you happen to have a friend who works metal, have him remove some of the metal where the trigger guard meets the frame, it'll help the gun point better.

Brad_in_MA said...

Jay,
Thanks again for the range trip. Today was a much needed afternoon of recoil therapy goodness. And yes, the CZ-52 was a heck of a lot of fun.

On the drive home this afternoon, I realized today was something much more important than a range trip. Today is April 19. I am a member of The Tribe. Rewind to April 19, 1943. Jews locked away in the Warsaw Ghetto had smuggled arms to resist their captors. They all died, but they did so defending the freedom which was stolen from them by their Nazi oppressors. In other words, today's range trip was not just a range trip . . . it was a Personal celebration of Freedom. Here's a hearty Thank You for today.

- Brad

.

Mike W. said...

How's the boom & flash of the CZ? More impressive than .357SIG?

Christine G. said...

jay, thank you for bringing me out. sorry doug couldn't make it but i smelled jealousy when i showed him my targets. mwah ha ha ha. and jessica is all "dude, when can i go and jay can teach me too?" mwah ha ha hah.

brad -- it was a pleasure to meet you today. it's ironic that you mention the date significance and the being a member of the tribe thing. i am not, and i do know that this time of year, april 19, 20th, bring out some interesting philosophies in some folk... and the warsaw uprising is rarely counted among them. i'll add it to the things to ponder during this weekend, as one that is more noble than most. thank you for pointing that out. i'm tired of the media talking only about columbine and waco and hitler's birthday among other things... and not looking back a little further to that historic event.

food for thought. thank you for it.

thanks again jay. really honestly. amazingly fun day. photos are in my flickr account if you know how to get there.

John the Texaner said...

So where's the range report for the BHP???

Inquiring minds want to know!