Thursday, June 18, 2009

The Fattiest Place on Earth...

One thing I noticed during our Disney vacation of a lifetime extravaganza was that the average denizen of the WDW Borg Collective weighed about as much as a small European car. A quick informal poll (admittedly unscientific) showed some 75% of the male guests to have a visible gut hanging over their belts (seriously. I counted 15 out of 20 guys who were noticeably overweight). The electric scooters were lined up as far as the eye could see upon entrance to any of the theme parks, waiting to convey their portly and/or lazy masters to the furthest reaches of Walt Disney's dream...


Now, I'll be the first to admit that I have a bias. Four years ago I'd have been one of those lardasses (although I didn't need an electric scooter). Hard work, sacrifice, and personal motivation have brought me to a place where I no longer get winded brushing my teeth, and I prefer things this way. I'm also more critical than the next guy WRT weight issues - if *I* lose weight, anyone can. I'm also more than happy to admit that yes, there are certain people who, through no fault of their own, have sluggish metabolisms or other conditions that make weight gain a foregone conclusion.

But it's hard to ignore the double cheeseburger, XL fries, and chocolate shake on their plate as the most likely culprit for needed mechanical assistance...

Folks, if you've let yourself go to the point of needing an electric scooter to get around a theme park, it's time to take a long, hard look at your life choices. If you're not suffering from a thyroid condition or other legitimate medical issue, it's time to start cutting back. Yes, it's hard - the triple chocolate brownie dessert is very yummy, and it calls to us, yes it does, preciousssss... Been there, done that, got the stretch marks to show for it.

Mrs. G. had a pedometer that she wore while we were down in Disney. It's part of some "1,000 mile" program where if she walks a thousand miles in a year she gets a free pair of sneakers or something - basically, it's a wellness incentive from her work. We walked an average of five miles a day, most often in 90ยบ+ heat and high humidity. I basically suspended my diet for the entire week, opting to choose healthier meals whenever possible but not skipping dessert and even having seconds at times. And I still managed to lose three pounds - that's what being active can do.

In any case, there's simply no excuse for letting yourself get so heavy that the wheelchair lift on the bus can't get your ample carcass loaded (this really happened). None. It's about damned time we started taking more pride in our appearance; it's time we started making better choices and taking better care of ourselves. And not just for our own personal betterment, mind you; things are going to get very ugly when we get "free" health care from Uncle Sucker and the .gov decides it's going to tell us how to live our lives (like they've told businesses how to operate in the wake of the bailouts...).

Those that have been bloating up nicely for the past few decades are going to have some rough going when it's decided that, since the .gov is picking up the tab for your health care now, you're going on a diet, fattie...

That is all.

10 comments:

Paladin said...

6 years ago, I was 5'8" and clocked in at 275 lbs.

I finally had enough of being a dumbass, and dropped down below 2 bills. Kept it off for several years until I quit smoking 18 months ago. Eating was the only way I could avoid the smokes, while still not killing 90% of the people I met during the day. My weight crept back up to 240, but I've finally got a hold on that and its dropping back down now.

I figure getting off the nicotine was worth the temporary return to fattidom, in the long run. If all goes to plan, there will be significant less of me to love come fall.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your success, Jay!

I understand your thoughts. It's just like going to gun shows and hearing the walking heart attacks talk about "resisting the government" when they cannot resist a cheeseburger or a Blizzard from Dairy Queen.

I think group exercise should be part of a gun show. In fact it would give heart attacks to the Lefties. Hmmmm. . . .

Shootin' Buddy

Jay G said...

Paladin,

EXCELLENT work!!!

Quitting smoking > losing weight as far as living longer; it's GREAT that you are getting the weight back under control too!!!

I quit 8½ years ago, and every time I see the rising price of cigarettes I'm a happy man...

shootin' buddy,

That was one of the reasons behind my weight loss, actually. First and foremost, of course, was to get healthy to set a good example for my kids and be around longer. But also to NOT be the stereotypical overweight gun nut...

;)

Andrew C said...

"I find that the theme of most theme parks is "Wait in line fatty"." - Demetri Martin (comedian for anyone not familiar)

Anonymous said...

You controlled your gag reflex admirably while at dinner when seated next to my fat rear.

This exercise crap is hard. And it's not the exercise that is the difficult part really. It's the not letting an excuse derail your bike ride. Etc. I'm fine once I start, it's the starting that defeats me half the time.

I have been 350 lbs before. That sucked. Got off my rear, rode my bike, walked, even stood instead of sitting. I got back to 200 and stayed there, and now the post 40 metabolism change is got me getting blubbery again, dammit.

Time to ride the bike!

Jay G said...

McThag,

Please. Compared to the vast majority of land whales @ Disney you're positively anorexic...

Good on you for losing the weight, though. I got up close to 300 before I started turning things around. Of course, I also had high blood pressure and gout, too...

RW said...

mcthag,

Best of luck to you. Keep in mind that the biggest factor in losing weight is diet, not exercise. Yes, ride the bike, yes, walk, yes to all that stuff; but, that won't do a darn thing as long as someone is throwing down 4,000 calories. Cardio is about 10% of the journey, what we eat is 90%, and I'm being conservative on the figures.

Jay,
I'm also more than happy to admit that yes, there are certain people who, through no fault of their own, have sluggish metabolisms or other conditions that make weight gain a foregone conclusion.

Very true. And in my experience, they represent 1 out of every 20 people who CLAIM that they have such maladies.

When in doubt, look at your piehole, folks; that's the culprit.

Great entry, Jay. Almost every time I've gone to Disney World I've lost weight (despite throwing down tons of fat & beer) due to all the walking, but I've noticed that the average weight of the clientele has skyrocketed so that it's akin to visiting Wal Mart.

We're a fat & lazy nation, folks, let's face facts.

jumblerant said...

Jay,

Congrats on the loss of weight. I too was astonished to see the girth of other visitors to WDW last year. I was scared they'd eat me if the restaurants shut early....

My Mum has MS and is in a wheelchair - and I think she has maybe put on 5lbs in the last 5 years - so it's not about being wheelchair bound that stops these people from losing the weight.

Maybe society has to turn round and say 'no'. Maybe we don't need to provide carts to people who don't have a disease. Maybe we don't need to widen doors to stores and get special sized sears in theatres and trains.

I think the airline industry has the right idea - if you need to use 2 seats - you pay for 2 seats. Simple really. In the short term it might stop some people from traveling but in the long run it might also get them to diet. And maybe that'll extend their lives by a few decades....

keep up the excellent bloggage!

SCI-FI said...

"and it calls to us, yes it does, preciousssss..."
^^^^^^^^
Cripes, I almost spit out a mouthful of tea...

Trost Osler said...

FWIW, Disney is not always like that. I went in late August, and almost everyone was skinny and fit.

Seriously, no joke.

That probably had to do with the fact that for whatever reason, almost every family was British, with some Germans/French/etc thrown in for good measure.

:) Just sayin'

Love the blog, btw.