Friday, April 9, 2010

The Whole Tooth...

Dentist Allegedly Used Paper Clips For Root Canals
A former Massachusetts dentist is accused of placing paper clips instead of stainless steel posts inside the teeth of root canal patients while billing Medicaid for the more expensive parts.

The state attorney general announced Tuesday that a grand jury indicted former Fall River dentist Michael Clair last week. The charges include assault and battery, larceny, submitting false claims to Medicaid and illegally prescribing drugs.
Imagine, if you will, how much a dental-grade steel post must go for in order to risk something like this... I couldn't believe this story when I first saw it on the news - I figured I must have missed something, listening to my music while I worked out. It happens every once in a while - I get in "the zone" while working out and start filtering most of the rest of the world out. I assumed I missed something - certainly a dentist wouldn't risk their career over something this stupid.

Obviously, I had forgotten the rule about never going broke underestimating the intelligence of the average American...

That is all.

3 comments:

Old NFO said...

Greed... plain and simple...

Jay G said...

Obviously the tooth is stranger than fiction...

Jake (formerly Riposte3) said...

Medicaid - meaning the .gov - was involved. He probably thought he was speaking tooth to power.