Sunday, May 16, 2010

NRA Convention Blog Dinner Recap Quick Notes

In one word, WOW. We had some serious heavy hitters at the blog dinner last night. Alan Gura. Alan Gottlieb. Pete Brownell. Gentlemen from Outdoor TV. And, of course, the people who made it all happen, SayUncle and the World's Most Dangerous Librarian. There was so much going on all night it was just unreal - I wish I'd had three times as much time to meet with everyone and socialize more. I think the highlight of the night, for me, was hearing that Michael Bane was familiar with my blog...

There were so many great folks at the meet tonight (32 people in total, not including your humble host), that trying to adequately describe teh awesome is bound to fail. There was legal talk with Alan Gura, who's done some work in MA. There was shop talk with Pete Brownells (mostly along the lines of "Do you know how much I spend with your company every month?" :) ) The real highlight of the night, for me, was meeting my blogdaughter Nancy, her "shorter half" (her words) Rick, and her lovely daughter, Susan - she of the purple Crosman...

Mad props to Unc and Breda for putting this together. I haven't had this much fun since, well, the last NE bloggershoot - and don't expect to have this much fun until the next bloggershoot (should start planning that soon BTW). It's been absolutely fantastic, from mocking protestors (more later) to ogling and fondling the firearms (more later) to an actual honest-to-goodness interview with a gun manufacturer (also more later). This has been an amazing weekend, and last night was simply the crowning achievement in a simply perfect weekend...

There will be more convention stuff posted as I clear the cobwebs and recuperate from the long drive home tonight/tomorrow...

That is all.

9 comments:

Nancy R. said...

Susan rated meeting you higher than meeting R. Lee. And that's not just because you rescued her jacket for her. Also, you're much less scary in person than in pictures. *GRIN*

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the guest list from last night. Amazing.

Wally said...

Sounds like a hoot!

BTW- new pic - is that a 45-70 revolver ?!

Old NFO said...

Glad you're having fun! Drive safe going home Jay!

Brad_in_IL said...

Jay,

Did Alan Gura, Esq. indicate what he'd been doing in MA? Did he have any part of H.2259?

- Brad

TOTWTYTR said...

Jealous, I am.

Brad, IIRC Proctor, Goodwin did a good deal of the research for Heller, so he probably has a good connection with them.

Brad_in_IL said...

Too Old,

Thx for the fill-in. I am especially interested in Mr. Gura because he's a Jew with Guns. There are very, very, very few American Jews who are armed. As a member of The Tribe, I can attest that the vast majority of our "circle" voted for The One. I was something of a pariah, having *not* voted for The One, and having voted for Scott Brown.

phlegmfatale said...

very very very cool.

Happy y'all got to get together, and a little wistful I couldn't be there, too.

fast richard said...

Did you actualy get your mitts on the gun John Wayne used in Stagecoach(as well as True Grit and several other movies)? If you did, the guns of Dirty Harry and John McClane pale in comparison.

Jay G said...

Why yes I did, AAMOF. There will be a post up tomorrow...