Okay.... that's what stands out in life right now Tell me your ten best reasons life is good... I issue it as a challenge.Ten reasons life is good. This shouldn't be too hard...
1. Children. Watching my kids grow is the most amazing thing I could ever possibly imagine. Right before my very eyes, I'm watching both of them develop their own personalities, their own likes and dislikes, their own styles. I've seen Christmas through the eyes of a child again; experienced the thrill of a roller coaster again; slept out in a tent for the first time in years; all because of my kids. They are the greatest thing to ever happen to me.
2. Friends. Both "in real life" (I hate that term) and online, I am blessed to be able to call some of the greatest people in the world "friend". Some I've known for decades; others I've only met recently; all are just fantastic, wonderful people that I am privileged to simply know. Some have talked me off the figurative ledge; others have patiently listened to me grouse; others have given their time, energy, and, most importantly of all, their friendship in return.
3. Freedom. Despite my near-constant grousing about it, this is still the single greatest country in the entire world. Nowhere on earth are people as free as we are here even today in the USA - we have freedoms we take for granted that others spend their whole lives trying to achieve. Despite her flaws, the United States of America is still Ronald Reagan's shining city on a hill.
4. Technology. I've mentioned before being amazed at the pace of technology. From $500 microwave ovens to VCR->DVD->Blu-Ray -> ??? to computers that fit in the palm of your hand, in my own lifetime I've seen the most amazing display of technological advances. This is truly an amazing time to be alive for the technophile.
5. Information. Never before in human history have we had such amazing methods of gathering information as we do right now. In my pocket I have a device that, when it receives the signal, can access any newspaper in the world, any news channel, any number of analytical resources. We've become so used to instantaneous news that we grow impatient waiting for a five minute update.
6. Guns. I'll be honest here. I just plain like guns. Sure, there's a lot to be said for the firearm being a symbol of freedom; how we carry firearms as the best methods of defending ourselves from two-legged predators, etc.; but really, I just like things that go boom. From the tiniest NAA arms .22 pistol to a Barrett M82, I'm fascinated by the engineering that goes into the manufacture of a firearm. I've got guns that my grandfather shot for many years that still work exactly as intended some 80 years later...
7. Beer. Beer's a funny one. I was never a big fan of beer as a younger man, enduring it simply as a vessel for alcoholic goodness. Now that I'm older and wiser (stop laughing), I've come to appreciate the rich flavor and simple pleasure that is beer - it really is proof that G-d loves us and wants to be happy.
8. Motorcycles. I love being on two wheels, I really do. The wind in my face, the rushing of the landscape, the feeling of raw, unadulterated freedom is simply indescribable to those that don't ride. Yes. Is motorcycle. Is not safe. I understand I'm most likely to get my fool self killed on two wheels than in a car, truck, or airplane. But damn, it's nowhere near as much fun on four wheels...
9. Bacon. Quite possibly nature's perfect food. Many a camping trip has seen bacon as breakfast and lunch (and as a condiment to dinner). The sound of bacon sizzling in a cast iron skillet over a roaring campfire is one of the most enticing sounds on this planet - everyone knows the sound of frying bacon. I think with enough bacon, we could bring about world peace.
10. Coffee. Oh, coffee, how do I love thee? Let me count the ways... Mornings are a wretched ball of suck, that's a given. They would be a far greater wretched ball of suck without coffee, though; the caffeine delivery vector known as coffee makes even the darkest day a little brighter.
Okay. What are your 10 reasons life is good?
That is all.