Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Stocking Up...

So, I mentioned last Friday I brought my 10/22 to the range for its second time, right? Ever lever-gun fan Borepatch had to agree that the 10/22 is more fun that ought to be allowed*. So, naturally, we've got to make it more fun, right? And what could be more fun than taking a staid wood-stocked 10/22 and turning it into an eeeeevil black rifle? I've taken the Ruger apart a few times now, and saying that the procedure is easy is an understatement. Take out one screw and the whole shebang separates from the stock - it's so easy even I can do it.

But which evil black (or dark earth, or olive drab, or...) stock should I drop it into?

Because my 10/22 was made some 20 years before the federal Assault Weapons ban, it's suitable for additional evil features that would be verboten on a new rifle. What that means, essentially, is that a folding or collapsible stock would be perfectly legal to put on this rifle (but a felony if I had an identical, but new, 10/22. Stupid, stupid laws). This opens up a wide variety of options:

1. Folding stock. The main advantage of a folding stock, naturally, is that it makes the rifle more portable. One of the concerns of a folding stock in a centerfire rifle is that it doesn't absorb recoil as well as a full stock; that's the beauty of the .22LR here.

2. Collapsible stock. An adjustable stock doesn't just make the gun grabbers wet their pants in fear, it also allows you to customize the rifle to a wide variety of shooters. I'm hoping this is the year that I bring TheBoy to the range with me, and it would be great if I could hand him the 10/22 sized to him for his first semi-auto rifle experience.

3. Combination stock. Has the advantages of 1 & 2; a little more pricey but getting both desirable features in one stock is well-worth it. Being able to customize the overall length *and* save space in the gun cabinet/rifle case is a huge plus.

4. Sniper/Dragunov-style stock. This one doesn't actually involve the AWB unless I put a muzzle break on the 10/22, but it's still something to think about. Especially if I can find a variant with a scope mount aft of the receiver for a scout-style rifle.

5. AR-15 style conversion stock. This is a possibility as well, as it allows the 10/22 to stand in for the Bushmaster somewhat. It's a different action, so it's not as good as a S&W M&P15-22 or a dedicated .22 upper, but for the price it's the least expensive option out there.

Plus it has a bayonet mount. *HUGE* plus there.

6. Other. Is there some other possibility I'm overlooking?


Given the ease with which the stock can be swapped out (and back), I'm not concerned about keeping the rifle in "original" configuration. At any given moment I can change it back to how it was the day I got it. I'm interested in something with a forend rail, because it would be really sweet to put the Colt CGL Foregrip Laser on the 10/22. A top-mount rail would be great for the scout-style scope/red dot mount (or green laser... Hmmm) - it'd be a lot of fun to have the 10/22 decked out with goodies to play with on the pistol range...

Thoughts, opinions, comments, etc. on stocks are appreciated - anything that works or didn't work; manufacturers to look for (or avoid); there's a lot of stocks out there for the Ruger 10/22 for a reason. I don't mind doing a little sanding/cutting/Dremel work for minor fitting if needed; however I'm not interested in carving a new stock out of a block of plastic. I'm a big fan of modular systems and rails - it's nice to have options and I've got a few in the box 'o' stuff that I would love to put on the 10/22.

And, as always when I talk about my 10/22, if anyone out there in America has a beat-up old "pre-ban" magazine they'd like to trade for a comparable brand new one, please let me know...

That is all.

*figuratively speaking, of course...

13 comments:

Carteach said...

I played with this: http://www.blackhawk.com/product/Axiom-RF-Ruger-1022-Rifle-Stock,1371,166.htm

Pretty kewl stock, and no rattles.

In the 10-22 world, the sky is the limit. Perusing Midway USA's catalog is like looking in a 10-22 toy store.

My own 10-22 (sold about twenty years ago) had an original Butler Creek folder on it. WAY too much fun, especially with big magazines.

bluesun said...

You should check out rimfirecentral.com. If you can do it to a 10/22, someone there has done it. Up to and including some multi-thousand dollar guns.

I would get the garand stock though and make it into a whole-hog LTR.

And, as always, the very fact that you have to even consider the legality of modding a 10/22 makes me hate the government in ways that I can't understand. I Thank God I live west of you. Literally.

Airborne Medic said...

I have a Butler Creek Folding Stock for Ruger 10/22 you can have for the price of shipping from Seattle, I just never used it.
For AR15 type setup look at Nordic components, thats the system Ruger used for the SR22.
totway1@comcast.net

Patrick said...

When you're reassembling your 10/22, keep in mind that the receiver is aluminum. Don't over-tighten that screw, or else you could end up with a fairly useless 10/22 receiver.

Jonathan Bartels said...

Take all the money you'd spend on doodads for the 10/22 and go buy a metric assload of .22LR ammo.

Now go to the range and shoot and have fun.

SpeakerTweaker said...

I dig the Dragunov-style just for it's inherent EEEEVILness, but for a practical approach I'd likely go with the combo stock.

That being said, if I were going for pure cool factor, it would without a doubt be one of these:

http://www.eabco.com/m1_carbine_ruger_1022_tribute.htm

Fit your 10/22 with an M1 Carbine stock. Hells yeah.



tweaker

zeeke42 said...

The M1 carbine stock is super cool.

TOTWTYTR said...

I like the look of the M1 Carbine stock, but my gun money is going to other stuff right now. That's a hint that I might have a gun post by the end of the week.

Enough self promotion, the M1 Carbine stock looks great with a blue steel 10/22.

Do it. You know you want to.

Jay G said...

I love the M1 Carbine stock. There's two things preventing me from getting one for this rifle:

1. The M1 Carbine stock does not run afoul of the AWB. I'd rather wait for a crazy sale on the standard 10/22 and buy a new one for the M1 Carbine conversion.

2. Unless and until I can get a few pre-ban hi-cap magazines, it would look wrong to have an M1 Carbine look-a-like without a magazine noticeable (the 10 round 10/22 magazines, for those that don't realize it, sit flush with the bottom of the receiver).

Anonymous said...

The M1 carbine stock may not be evil, but with the appropriate sights it's a damn fine trainer to introduce the kids to service rifle type shooting. And if the thought of a child hitting targets several hundred yards away with a high powered military rifle doesnt cause a stain in a lib's panties, I dunno what will.

Veeshir said...

I decided long ago what I will do to the first 10/22 I buy,
MG-42:
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=180441

dehakal said...

Been out of town,

Here is the ztock for you

http://www.gunsamerica.com/975850746/Non-Guns/Gun-Parts/Stocks/Polymer/Ruger_10_22_Stock_SAW_PARA_M249.htm

Theredneckengineer said...

http://www.archangelmanufacturing.com/iriflestocks.htm

I like this stock enough to pay the outrageous asking price. Collapsible stock, tactical black color, and a evil bayonet. What else do you need out of a .22?