Monday, November 15, 2010

A New Player!

We have ourselves a new player in the holster business, folks. Fellow blogger sevesteen has graciously sent me a couple of holsters for review:

New Holsters

These holsters are rather unique in that they are tuckable IWB holsters that are all leather construction. I have a Crossbreed Supertuck for my G30 that is a fantastic holster for deep cover or long-term carry, but it's a leather backing with kydex holster.

The holsters fit, respectively:

Little Gun

Smith & Wesson J-frame revolver, Smith & Wesson Model 360 PD (a.k.a. the Snubbie from Hell™) shown; and

Big Gun

SigSauer P226 full-sized double stack semi-automatic pistol.

I had a chance to try out the J-frame holster for a bit on Saturday. It's comfortable as all get-out - I don't know how he managed it, but Sevesteen apparently used my body double to mold the contour of the holster. Weight distribution - such as it is for a 12 ounce revolver - was excellent and the holster literally did not budge. Retention is excellent - I was hiking over hill and dale with TheBoy and it stayed put - but removal of the revolver is simple and easy and (with practice) can be done in a clean, fluid motion.

I'll have a full review once I've had a chance to wear both holsters out and about. I'd like to try a range of clothing & cover garments, with the holsters both concealed and also tucked. I cheated a little on Saturday - I swapped out the large metal clips shown in the picture for the plastic behind-the-belt clips I have for the Crossbreed. Other than that they both look very promising. Interesting side note on that - Sevesteen chided me for saying that the holsters looked great - he was apparently not pleased with the finish on the P226 holster. I had to disagree - they're quite sturdy and do the job for which they are made well; function in this case is king.

Or, like I put it later, "Is IWB Holster. Is not supposed to be pretty, is supposed to work."

These work.

That is all.

6 comments:

zeeke42 said...

I still don't like holsters where you can see daylight through the trigger guard. I feel like it's just asking for something to get caught in there.

BenC said...

Do they collapse when the firearm is removed?

Anonymous said...

I have used one his holsters for about a year now. I love it. It is my primary way of carrying.

Skip said...

What Ben said.
Can you reholster quick?

Jay G said...

BenC,

I think you could drive a small car over this holster without it collapsing...

(Okay, slight exaggeration)

Seriously, reholstering was quite easy. The holster retains its shape under pretty much all conditions.

Hmm.

Now y'all have got me thinking about including video in the extended review. Oh gosh darn... :)

Sevesteen said...

A holster that does not allow one-handed re-holstering is unacceptable to me. The 226 holster was hurriedly slapped together with rejected bits from another project, only to test fit of a real 226--but had it collapsed, I would not have sent it even for that limited purpose.