Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Little Tip...

If the "advertisement" you are using on your web page is one of those bloody "pop-over" types that takes up the entire page and has a "Close" link that's two microns tall, I will leave your page so fast it leaves digital vapor trails, and I will make a mental note to never visit again. Look, I of all people understand the need and want for advertisement on one's web page. However, it doesn't have to be obnoxious; it shouldn't dwarf the actual content; and it DAMN well better not freeze up whatever computer I'm using, even if it's an archaic terminal PC. When you annoy your customers (readers), you lose them.

Just a free piece of advice from someone who does marketing for a living...

That is all.

9 comments:

RW said...

Firefox+popup blocker+NoScript = No Problems.

Jay G said...

Can't run FF here. Not "allowed"...

:(

KA9VSZ said...

I second the motion and after it carries, will move that the offending advertizer be (wait, wait, must be civil) um, euthanized for the good of all. There, I feel better now. Thanks.

WV criship As in the offender should be fried to a criship.

Mike W. said...

I couldn't agree more. People with those ads make me wish I could reach into the screen and slap them.

Not a problem most of the time, but sometimes I've gotta use IE.

ViolentIndifference said...

Can't run FF here. Not "allowed"...

Massachusetts?

wolfwalker said...

RW: unfortunately, Firefox doesn't always block the ads Jay is talking about. I use Firefox exclusively, and I still have trouble with them.

I will also never be a Netflix subscriber because of Netflix's goddamned pop-under ads, which no blocker I've tried has been able to block.

Seth from Massachusetts said...

I hate popups even more than I hate spam! The other thing I hate is ads which move! Very distracting!

Roy said...

Wolfwalker, I actually wrote a letter to Netflix telling them the same thing - that I would not be a Netflix subscriber as long as they continue to pollute my web browsing with their damnable pop-unders.

I never got a response.

Jay, another quick way to drive me off a page is to have too many animations going at once. All that moving crap is not only a distraction, it is an annoyance.

Toastrider said...

Firefox+NoScript+Flashblock

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of spam, I shall fear no popups, for my browser is giving them a double middle finger.